Carol Roth 2012
1973 (age 44–45)|
|Alma mater||Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
|Occupation||Radio host, TV Panelist, Author, Investment banker|
|Notable work||The Entrepreneur Equation (ISBN 978-1935618447)|
|Television||Varney & Co, Piers Morgan Tonight, Closing Bell, MSNBC’s Your Business|
Carol Roth (born 1973) is an American radio host, television personality, bestselling author and investor. She was the host of WGN Radio's The Noon Show, and author of the New York Times bestseller book, The Entrepreneur Equation. Roth appears weekly on national cable television networks including Fox Business, CNBC, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. As a self-styled "recovering" investment banker, she has completed more than $2 billion in capital raising, mergers & acquisitions and related transactions and invests in private companies.
Roth was born in the northern suburbs of Chicago, Illinois and attended Deerfield High School. Her father Bernie is a retired union electrician. Her parents divorced while she was in high school and her mother Sheri died from leukemia in 1998, as did her step-mother from lung cancer in 2004. She attended the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, and graduated magna cum laude in 1995.
Roth is an advocate for entrepreneurship and small business. She was named a Top 100 Small Business Influencer by Small Biz Trends in 2011 and again in 2012. A number of her television segments and writings are related to small business and she was the event moderator for the New York Times Small Business Summit in 2012.
Roth released her first book, The Entrepreneur Equation, in 2010. The book, which was listed on The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestseller lists, won an Axiom Gold Medal Business book award. Reviewers particularly focused on the book's direct tone and highlight Roth's "reality checks" for readers. Initially, there was a controversy with buyers over the book's cover, which featured a picture of her, but she insisted on keeping it.
An action figure of Roth was created as a marketing prop to coincide with the release of The Entrepreneur Equation.
Roth has been actively appearing on television since 2010. She has been featured as a guest on a variety of national cable news networks, and has recurring roles on Fox Business' Varney&Co where she often appears as a second-hour co-host, CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight, CNBC’s Closing Bell, MSNBC's Your Business, Fox News’ America Live with Megyn Kelly, Fox Business’ The Tom Sullivan Show and Fox Business’ The Willis Report. Her coverage of business, economic, political, and current events included discussion panel appearances during the United States 2012 elections.
Roth hosted "The Noon Show" on WGN Radio from January to June 2013. Previously, she co-hosted episodes of American Entrepreneur Radio with Suzanne Caplan, focused on entrepreneurship and business.
Columns and articles
Roth has written for a number of online publications, including a featured blog called "Make Your Pitch" at The New York Times and a blog at the Huffington Post where she covers Business, Political, and Women's Issue postings. In 2011, Roth authored Sober Entrepreneurship, a manifesto which was published through Change This. She wrote an article for CNBC.com proposing the legalization of insider trading.
- "The Noon Show with Carol Roth – Weekdays 12 – 1 p.m. – 720 WGN". WGN Radio. Archived from the original on 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "The Entrepreneur Equation By Carol Roth". Theentrepreneurequation.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Dow, S&P Close at 5-Year Highs; Apple Falls 2%". Cnbc.com. 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Carol Roth". YouTube. 2010-04-10. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Will October Economic Data Sway Election | Fox Business Video". Video.foxbusiness.com. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Biography". Carol Roth. 2013-02-05. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Kerr, Jon (2011-04-18). "Book Offers Tough Love for Aspiring Entrepreneurs - Northbrook, IL Patch". Northbrook.patch.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "SheBrand Superstar: Carol Roth". :. 2012-08-15. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Carol Roth". The Rise to the Top. Archived from the original on 2013-03-05. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "2012 Top Champions and Honorable Mentions | Small Business Influencers". Influencers.smallbiztrends.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "NYT Small Business Summit". NYT Small Business Summit. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Taylor, Ihsan. "Best Sellers - The New York Times". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "One on One: Carol Roth, The Entrepreneur Equation | Small Business Trends". Smallbiztrends.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "THE Voice of the Independent Publishing Industry". Independent Publisher. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Martin Zwilling (2012-04-18). "Ten Steps to Screen Your Fit for Entrepreneurship". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Don't romanticize owning your own business; it requires work - USATODAY.com". usatoday.com. 2011-03-06. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "A Female Spin on Starting a Business". Inc.com. 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Dwyer, Ann (2011-03-11). "Beyond the Pedway: Carol Roth". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "The Carol Roth Brand". Dollsmagazine.com. 2011-02-03. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Why Apple Shouldn't Stop the Steve Jobs Doll (opinion)". Entrepreneur.com. 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Carol Roth Short Skirt/Luscious Legs 11/14/12". YouTube. 2012-11-14. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Clips From Last Night: Robert Reich and Carol Roth debate taxes and debt reduction; Reince Priebus on Romney and the GOP – Piers Morgan - CNN.com Blogs". Piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com. 2012-11-28. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "carol roth - CNBC". Search.cnbc.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Search - OPEN Forum :: American Express". OPEN Forum. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Megyn Kelly Focus Group Explodes Over Candy Crowley's Debate Moderation". Mediaite. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Fashion PR News: Matchbook Company Announces Representation of Carol Roth | PR Couture: Fashion PR, Marketing & Social Media". PR Couture. 2012-04-12. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "BenBella Books Press Room — Carol Roth". Benbellabooks.com. Archived from the original on 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "CNN.com - Transcripts". Transcripts.cnn.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- "Getting Rich Off the Recession: THE BIG SHORT". YouTube. 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- WGN-AM Cancels Noon Show; Carol Roth Out. chicagoradiomedia.com. Retrieved 27 October 2016
- "Call - American Entrepreneur Radio". TalkShoe. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Roth, Carol. "MAKE YOUR PITCH - You're the Boss Blog - NYTimes.com". Boss.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Carol Roth". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- "Sober Entrepreneurship: Why Modern Entrepreneurs Won't Succeed Under the Influence". Change This. 2011-08-03. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Carol Roth (2012-11-26). "Roth: Insider Trading Should Be Legalized". The Entrepreneur Equation. Cnbc.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-12. Retrieved 2013-02-15.
- Carolin Roth, Anchor, CNBC cnbc.com. Retrieved 27 October 2016