Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Casiotone for the Painfully Alone|
|Origin||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Associated acts||Advance Base, Sun Kil Moon|
|Past members||Owen Ashworth|
CFTPA was active 1997 - 2010, during which five studio albums were released, alongside numerous other releases. CFTPA toured with other indie artists such as The Donkeys, Papercuts, P:ano, The Dead Science, David Bazan, The Rapture, and Xiu Xiu. Following the end of CFTPA, Ashworth began a new project, Advance Base.
Owen Ashworth started CFTPA after he dropped out of film school in 1997. The project was established under a set of Dogme 95-like rules: short songs, played in C, on the white notes of Casio keyboards. The band's musical style was characterized by the use of electronically produced beats, cheap keyboards, and slow, frank lyrics. From Etiquette onwards, CFTPA widened in musical scope and added more analog instruments and an overall more organic sound.
In 2010 Ashworth announced that he was retiring the "Casiotone for the Painfully Alone" name, as well as the songs he wrote under that name, although he planned to continue making music. The band's final show was on December 5, 2010, the thirteen-year anniversary of its first show. Ashworth's new project is called Advance Base.
Owen Ashworth's brother is Gordon Ashworth, who makes experimental harsh noise as Oscillating Innards and ambient works as Concern, and also plays in grindcore/black metal project Knelt Rote.
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone Albums
- Answering Machine Music CD, CD/LP (Cassingle USA, 1999) (reissue: Tomlab, 2001)
- Pocket Symphonies for Lonesome Subway Cars - CD/LP (Tomlab, 2001)
- Twinkle Echo - CD/LP (Tomlab, 2003)
- Bobby Malone EP - LP (Tomlab, 2006)
- Etiquette - CD/LP (Tomlab, 2006)
- Vs. Children - CD/LP (Tomlab, 2009)
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone Compilation albums
- The First Two Albums by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - CD (Tomlab, 2005)
- Town Topic EP - CD EP (Tomlab, 2008)
- Advance Base Battery Life - CD/LP (Tomlab, 2009)
Advance Base Albums
- A Shut-In's Prayer CD/LP (Caldo Verde / Orindal / Tomlab, 2012)
- Nephew in the Wild CD/LP/CS (Orindal / Tomlab, 2015)
- In Bloomington LP (Orindal 2016)
Advance Base Compilation albums
- "Perfume Genius Put Your Back N 2 It". Pitchfork. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Hudson, Alex (2010-07-28). "Owen Ashworth Opens Up about the End of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "casiotone for the painfully alone". Cftpa.org. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "Advance Base of Chicago, Ill". Advancebasemusic.com. 2014-11-04. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- Casiotone for the Painfully Alone's Official Site
- Advance Base's Official Site
- Casiotone for the Painfully Alone at Last.fm
- 2008 Interview with Owen at RadioUTD
- 2007 Interview at Bandega.com
- Interview with Owen Ashworth at Drowned in Sound
- Casiotone For The Painfully Alone on Five Tunes
- 2015 Chicago Reader feature on Advance Base
- 2015 interview with Owen Ashworth by Rick Moody for The Rumpus
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Owen Ashworth.|