|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|• Total||5.41 km2 (2.09 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,174 m (3,852 ft)|
|• Density||24/km2 (61/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Calfreisen, Lüen, St. Peter-Pagig, Praden, Says, Trimmis|
Castiel ( [kɐˈʃtiə̯l] (help·info)) is a former municipality in the district of Plessur in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2013 the former municipalities of Castiel, Calfreisen, Langwies, Lüen, Molinis, Peist and St. Peter-Pagig merged into the municipality of Arosa.
Castiel is first mentioned in 1132 as Castellum.
Before the merger, Castiel had a total area of 5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi). Of this area, 43.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 49.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (5.9%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The former municipality is located in the Schanfigg sub-district of the Plessur district on the northern face of the Schanfigg. It consists of the village of Castiel with the two sections of Oberdorf and Unterdorf.
Castiel had a population (as of 2010) of 128. As of 2008[update], 6.5% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -2.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (97.5%), with the rest speaking Romansh (2.5%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 48.0% male and 52.0% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Castiel is; 24 children or 20.2% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 8 teenagers or 6.7% are 10 to 14, and 4 teenagers or 3.4% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, 4 people or 3.4% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 26 people or 21.8% are 30 to 39, 18 people or 15.1% are 40 to 49, and 13 people or 10.9% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 9 people or 7.6% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 8 people or 6.7% are 70 to 79, there are 5 people or 4.2% who are 80 to 89.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Castiel about 70.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either University or a Fachhochschule).
Castiel has an unemployment rate of 0.56%. As of 2005[update], there were 20 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 8 businesses involved in this sector. 5 people are employed in the secondary sector and there is 1 business in this sector. 4 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 3 businesses in this sector.
Heritage sites of national significance
- Nomenklaturen – Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz (in German) accessed 9 February 2013
- Castiel in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- "Swiss Statistics - Portraits of communes". Swiss Federal Statistical Office. Archived from the original on 5 January 2016. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Graubunden Population Statistics Archived August 27, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. mber 2009.
- Graubunden in Numbers Archived September 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 21 September 2009.
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived May 1, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 27-Oct-2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Castiel.|