Castleton station (Vermont)
|Location||266 Main Street, Castleton, Vermont|
|Owned by||Castleton Depot, LLC|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections||The Bus: Fair Haven-Rutland Connector|
January 2, 2010 (Amtrak)
Castleton is an Amtrak intercity train station in Castleton, Vermont. Originally built by the Rutland and Whitehall Railroad in 1850, the depot is now privately owned, and is located across from the northern terminus of the Delaware and Hudson Rail Trail. Castleton replaced Fair Haven station on the Ethan Allen Express in January 2010. It serves nearby Castleton University and Lake Bomoseen.
The station has one short low-level wooden side platform to the east of the track.
The station building was constructed in 1850. Passenger service on the line between Whitehall and Rutland ended in 1936. In 1966, the Delaware and Hudson Railroad sold the station to the Jakubowski family.
Fair Haven is a small town with limited tourist activity; in FY 2007 the station served just 2,205 passengers. In 2005, the Jakubowski family began renovating Castleton station. In January 2010, Fair Haven station was replaced with Castleton, 5 miles (8.0 km) to the east, which better serves Castleton University and Lake Bomoseen. Castleton station opened on January 2; Fair Haven remained in use until January 9.
- "AMTRAK ETHAN ALLEN EXPRESS TO PROVIDE SERVICE AT RENOVATED CASTLETON, VERMONT DEPOT" (PDF) (Press release). Amtrak. 29 December 2009.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2019, State of Vermont" (PDF). Amtrak. May 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lloyd, Barbara (December 19, 1996). "Train Trip to Vermont Offers Some of the Fun". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-08-14. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "In Amtrak History" (PDF). Amtrak Ink. 18 (11). December 2013.
- "Amtrak Northeast Timetable: Fall/Winter 1997-98". Amtrak. October 26, 1997 – via Museum of Railway Timetables.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2007, State of Vermont" (PDF). Amtrak. January 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 June 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Media related to Castleton station (Vermont) at Wikimedia Commons
- Castleton, VT – Amtrak
- Castleton Amtrak Station (USA RailGuide - TrainWeb)
- Castleton, Vermont (CNV); Great American Stations (Amtrak)