Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute
|Austin Ruse, President|
The Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute—nowadays known as the Center for Family and Human Rights (C-FAM)—is a United States-based research institute, founded in 1997, in order to monitor and affect the policy debate at the United Nations and other international institutions. It describes its mission as "protection of life in all its stages, recognition and promotion of the natural structure of the family, and the protection of the right of parents to educate their children".
C-FAM's Board of Patrons includes Lord Nicholas Windsor, Mary Ellen Bork, Robert P. George, Leonard Leo, and Hadley Arkes. In July 2013, Austin Ruse, its current president, was identified as a key member of Groundswell, a coalition of conservative activists and journalists attempting to make political change behind the scenes.
The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated C-FAM an anti-LGBT hate group. The SPLC has characterized the institute as being "heavily focused on global anti-LGBT work", citing its opposition to United Nations efforts to protect LGBT rights and to study and prevent anti-LGBT violence, and praise of American anti-gay activist Scott Lively. In a statement posted on its website, C-FAM responded that SPLC's criteria is biased against its "conservative opponents"; that SPLC has been accused of inflating its list of hate groups; and that the charges were false.
In February, 2014, the 19-member NGO Committee of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) unanimously approved C-FAM for Special Consultative Status. On April 23, 2014, the ECOSOC granted this status without objection.
- "About Us". Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Mission Statement". Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Board of Patrons". Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Vicens, AJ (July 25, 2013). "Meet Groundswell's Major Players". Mother Jones. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Hate Map: DC" splcenter.org
- Could Austin Ruse’s Violent Rhetoric Endanger C-FAM’s Status with the UN?
- Beirich, Heidi (Fall 2013). "Dangerous Liaisons". Intelligence Report (Southern Poverty Law Center) (151).
- "C-FAM Response to Southern Poverty Law Center Regarding Classification as a Hate Group". Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- "United Nations Official Document". Un.org. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Economic and Social Council, Opening Coordination, Management Meetings, Adopts Five Decisions, Holds Subsidiary Body Elections". Un.org. Retrieved 2014-05-07.