|Member of the Alberta Legislative Assembly|
for Sherwood Park
April 23, 2012 – May 5, 2015
|Preceded by||Iris Evans|
|Succeeded by||Annie McKitrick|
|Mayor of Strathcona County|
October 26, 2004 – October 26, 2010
|Preceded by||Vern Hartwell|
|Succeeded by||Linda Osinchuk|
|Strathcona County Councillor for Ward 4|
1995 – October 26, 2004
|Preceded by||new ward|
|Succeeded by||Peter Wlodarczak|
|Born||1960/1961 (age 57–58)|
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
Cathy Olesen MLA, (born c. 1961) is a politician in Alberta, Canada. She served on Strathcona County Council from 1995, first as a councillor then mayor, until her defeat in 2010. Olesen then went into provincial politics, and represented Sherwood Park from the 2012 provincial election until her defeat in the 2015 provincial election.
Cathy Olesen successfully ran for County councillor, in the new Ward 4, in 1995. She held this position for three terms, until deciding to take a run for mayor. Olesen become mayor of Strathcona County in 2004, and was re-elected in 2007, in a close three-way race. In 2010 Olesen lost to Linda Osinchuk.
In 2012, with Sherwood Park MLA Iris Evans retiring, Olesen ran for the Progressive Conservative (PC) nomination. She won the PC nomination by only one vote over Susan Timanson. On April 23, 2012, Olesen won the Sherwood Park riding, and successfully made her way into provincial politics. On May 5, 2015 Olesen lost to Annie McKitrick.
2015 general election
|Alberta general election, 2012: Sherwood Park|
|Progressive Conservative||Cathy Olesen||8,747||45.62||-17.52|
|New Democratic||Sarah Michelin||1,210||6.31||+0.18|
|Alberta Party||Chris Kuchmak||230||1.20|
|Social Credit||Gordon Barrett||137||0.71|
|Total valid votes||19,173|
|Rejected, spoiled, and declined||184|
|Registered electors / Turnout||30,851||62.74||+15.06|
|Progressive Conservative hold||Swing||-24.27|
|Alberta general election, 2015: Sherwood Park|
|New Democratic||Annie McKitrick||11,365||52.05||+45.74|
|Progressive Conservative||Cathy Olesen||5,655||25.90||-19.72|
|Total valid votes||21,835|
|Rejected, spoiled, and declined||143|
|Registered electors / Turnout||33,048||66.50||+3.76|
|New Democratic gain from Progressive Conservative||Swing||+32.73|
- "Minutes of the Organizational Meeting of the Council" (PDF). Strathcona County. November 9, 2004. Retrieved April 23, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Council Organizational Meeting - October 26, 2010". Strathcona County. August 4, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Council" (PDF). Strathcona County. October 26, 2004. Retrieved April 23, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Roblin, Jacqueline (October 22, 2010). "Strathcona County Election Results". Strathcona County. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Past Councils". Strathcona County. April 10, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Ex-mayor in heated battle for Evans seat", The Edmonton Journal, 10 April 2012
- "About Cathy". Cathy Olesen. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Gerein, Keith (January 31, 2012). "Sherwood Park PC vote as close as it gets". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Timanson, Sue (January 22, 2012). "Sue Timanson for PC Candidate". Facebook. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
|This article about an Alberta politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|