Central African Backbone
The Central African Backbone (CAB) is a fiber-optic Internet backbone being developed to connect the countries of the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) in Africa via high speed internet. The countries included in the CAB project are: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Republic of the Congo and São Tomé and Príncipe. It's split up into five phases, each phase focusing on the fibre rollout in one or more countries.
List of CAB phases
|Phase||Reference||Countries||Approval Date||Closing Date||Status||Total Project Cost|
|Phase 1||APL1A||Cameroon Central African Republic Chad||24 September 2009||15 March 2016||Finished||$26,730,000 USD|
|Phase 2||APL2||São Tomé and Príncipe||20 January 2011||31 December 2014||Finished||$14,900,000 USD|
|Phase 3||APL3||Republic of the Congo||25 May 2011||29 June 2018||Under construction||$30,000,000 USD|
|Phase 4||APL4||Gabon||28 March 2012||30 June 2018||Under construction||$109,000,000 USD|
|Phase 5||SOP5||Democratic Republic of the Congo||16 July 2014||31 December 2019||Under construction||$92,100,000 USD|
The project is funded by a loan from the World Bank, initially estimated at $160 million USD. As of 2015, total World Bank funding for the project is at $206 million USD, and the total project cost, including financing from other sources than the World Bank, is estimated at $273 million USD.
CAB in Cameroon
CAB in Central African Republic
CAB in Chad
CAB in Democratic Republic of the Congo
CAB in Gabon
CAB in Republic of the Congo
CAB in São Tomé and Príncipe
International terrestrial fibre interconnection
The CAB crosses several international borders, including a Cameroon-Chad interconnection, a Chad-CAR interconnection, a Congo-DRC interconnection between Brazzaville and Kinshasa, as well as a Congo-Gabon interconnection between running from Dolisie along the Congo–Ocean Railway, and through Mont-Mbelo, Makabana, Mossendjo and Mbinda, before crossing over into Gabon.
- http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P108368/central-african-backbone-apl1a?lang=en | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P117652/central-african-backbone-apl2?lang=en | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P122398/central-african-backbone-apl3-republic-congo?lang=en | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P122776/central-african-backbone-apl4-gabon?lang=en | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://www.worldbank.org/projects/P132821?lang=en | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://go.worldbank.org/MPTI3O2IS0 | Retrieved on 26 April 2015.
- http://www.itu.int/itu-d/tnd-map-public/ | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/SDN/2013/03/23/090224b081a12700/1_0/Rendered/PDF/Africa000Centr0Report000Sequence007.pdf | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.agenceecofin.com/infrastructures/2403-27572-kinshasa-lubumbashi-et-kisangani-bientot-connectees-et-interconnectees-par-fibre-optique | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://gabonreview.com/blog/projet-fibre-optique-backbone-1100-km/ | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Regulatory-Market/Documents/Brazzavile/Session9%20-1%20Luc%20Missidimbazi%20%282%29.pdf | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.stpdigital.net/sociedade/688-sao-tome-entrou-na-era-do-cabo-de-fibra-optica.html | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.journalducameroun.com/article.php?aid=10937 | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.digitalcongo.net/article/86452 | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.
- http://www.agenceecofin.com/infrastructures/1512-25129-huawei-va-interconnecter-le-congo-au-gabon-par-fibre-optique-pour-12-milliards-de-fcfa | Retrieved on 28 April 2015.