- For the plant genus, see its synonym Sedum.
|White-lipped snail Cepaea hortensis|
Cepaea is a genus of medium-sized air-breathing land snails, terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks in the family Helicidae. The shells of species within this genus are often brightly colored and patterned with stripes. The two species from this genus, the common and widespread C. nemoralis and C. hortensis, have been model species for early studies of genetics and natural selection. They occur in Europe, although introduced populations occur elsewhere in the world.
For along time, four species were classified in the genus Cepaea.
- Cepaea hortensis (O. F. Müller, 1774)
- Cepaea nemoralis (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Cepaea sylvatica (Draparnaud, 1801), now Macularia sylvatica
- Cepaea vindobonensis (Férussac, 1821), now Caucasotachea vindobonensis
- Held, F. (1838). "Notizen über die Weichthiere Bayerns. (Fortsetzung)". Isis (Leipzig). 1837 (12): 902–921.
- "Genus summary for Cepaea". AnimalBase. 15 August 2014. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Robert Nordsieck. "Banded Snails (Cepaea Held 1838)". The Living World of Molluscs. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Jones JS, Heith BH, Ralwings P (1977). "Polymorphism in Cepaea: a problem with too many solutions?". Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics. 8: 109–143. doi:10.1146/annurev.es.08.110177.000545.
- Neiber MT, Hausdorf B (2015). "Molecular phylogeny reveals the polyphyly of the snail genus Cepaea (Gastropoda: Helicidae)". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 93: 143–149. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2015.07.022. PMID 26256642.
- Neiber MT, Sagorny C, Hausdorf B (2016). "Increasing the number of molecular markers resolves the phylogenetic relationship of 'Cepaea' vindobonensis (Pfeiffer 1828) with Caucasotachea Boettger 1909 (Gastropoda: Pulmonata: Helicidae)". Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary Research. 54 (1): 40–45. doi:10.1111/jzs.12116.
- Yamazaki N.; Ueshima R.; Terrett J. A.; Yokobori S.; Kaifu M.; Segawa R.; Kobayashi T.; Numachi K.; Ueda T.; Nishikawa K.; Watanabe K.; Thomas R. H. (1997). "Evolution of pulmonate gastropod mitochondrial genomes: comparisons of complete gene organizations of Euhadra, Cepaea and Albinaria and implications of unusual tRNA secondary structures". Genetics. 145: 749–758.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cepaea.|
|This Helicidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|