|Born||1980 (age 36–37)
New York City, United States
|Alma mater||Yale University
Merton College, Oxford
Life and career
Finch was born in New York City. He graduated from Phillips Academy and Yale University where he majored in English and History. He also holds a master's degree in Renaissance English Literature from Merton College, Oxford. He is the grandson of American artist and writer Anne Truitt. He lives in Chicago.
His first published novel, A Beautiful Blue Death, introduced gentleman sleuth Charles Lenox. The book was named one of Library Journal’s Best Books of 2007 and was nominated for the Agatha Award for best new mystery of 2007. The September Society, Finch's second historical mystery featuring the Charles Lenox character, was published in 2008. The Fleet Street Murders came out in 2009 and was nominated for the Nero Award. A Stranger in Mayfair, the fourth Lenox mystery, was released in 2010. A Burial at Sea, A Death in the Small Hours, and An Old Betrayal were released in November 2011, November 2012, and November 2013, respectively. All seven books are published by St. Martin's Minotaur, a division of St. Martin's Press.
Finch's first contemporary novel, The Last Enchantments, was published by St. Martin's Press in early 2014. He has written for The New York Times and Slate and regularly reviews books for The New York Times, The New York Times Book Review, the Chicago Tribune and USA Today. He was a 2014 finalist for the National Book Critics Circle's Balakian award for criticism.
Charles Lenox series
- A Beautiful Blue Death, 2007 Hardcover ISBN 978-0-312-35977-5
- The September Society, 2008 Hardcover ISBN 978-0-312-35978-2
- The Fleet Street Murders, 2009 Hardcover ISBN 978-0-312-56551-0
- A Stranger in Mayfair, 2010 Hardcover ISBN 978-0-312-62506-1
- A Burial at Sea, 2011 Hardcover ISBN 978-0-312-62508-5
- A Death in the Small Hours, 2012 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-250-01160-2
- An Old Betrayal, 2013 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-2500-1161-9
- The Laws of Murder, 2014 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-250-05130-1
- Home by Nightfall, 2015 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-250-07041-8
- The Inheritance, 2016 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-250-07042-5
- The Last Enchantments, 2014 Hardcover ISBN 978-1-2500-1871-7
- Archives of American Art Interview with Anne Truitt retrieved February 10, 2010
- "Best Books 2007". Library Journal. 2007.
- "Agatha Awards". Malice Domestic. 2008. Archived from the original on 2017-01-21.
- "Nominations for 2010 Nero Award Announced". Mystery Books News. 2010.
- "Charles Finch". Macmillan Books. 2008.
- "Meet the Authors: Susanna Gregory Interviews Charles Finch". Little Brown. 2012.
- Curtis Brown - The Last Enchantments retrieved January 23, 2012
- "Charles Finch". Slate. 2014.
- "Charles Finch". USA Today. 2013.
- "Charles Finch". The New York Times. 2015.
- "Charles Finch". Newsday. 2015.