Charles Fraser (businessman)
The son of the Very Revd John Fraser MBE who was Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 1958-59, Charles Annand Fraser was born on 16 October 1928 at Humbie in East Lothian, Scotland, and educated at the former Hamilton Academy. His father was at that time Minister at Hamilton Old Parish Church. Charles Fraser was to continue his studies at the University of Edinburgh, graduating MA and LLB.
A partner (1965 to 1992) in the Edinburgh solicitors W. & J. Burness WS, Fraser is a former director of British Assets Trust PLC; Scottish Media Group (formerly Scottish Television PLC); Scottish Business in the Community and Stakis PLC. He was also non-executive Vice-Chairman of United Biscuits (Holdings) between 1986 and 1995 and Chairman of the banks Morgan Grenfell (Scotland) and Adam and Company. Fraser has also served as a director of the Scottish Widows Fund, (1978–94).
From 1966 to 1972 Fraser served as a member of the Council of the Law Society of Scotland, and from 1969 to 1988, as Purse Bearer to the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, serving also, from 1972 to 1978, on the Court of Heriot-Watt University.
In 1991, Fraser was appointed Chairman of Lothian & Edinburgh Enterprise, part of the Scottish Enterprise network, a post he held until 1994, from which year, to 1997, he served as Chairman of the Secretary of State for Scotland’s Advisory Committee on Sustainable Development. From 1997-2000, Fraser was also a Trustee of the World Wildlife Fund (UK).
Charles Annand Fraser was appointed LVO in 1968; CVO in 1985  and knighted, as KCVO in 1989. He was also appointed a Deputy Lieutenant for East Lothian in 1984  and elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1993.
- Frost’s Scottish Who’s Who – Charles Fraser Archived 19 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 28 October 2010
- Burke’s Landed Gentry of Great Britain – Fraser, C A Retrieved 28 October 2010
- The Herald (Scotland) article 11 July 1991 Career prospects in science 'much worse than 20 years ago Lists Sir Charles Annand Fraser as senior partner, W & J Burness WS, Edinburgh, and vice-Chairman, United Biscuits Retrieved 7 September 2011
- The Economist article Tartan Attack 23 November 2000 Sir Charles Fraser contributor Retrieved 7 September 2011
- The Scotsman 16 October 2001 Birthdays, Sir Charles Annand Fraser, former Chairman, Adam and Company Retrieved 7 September 2011
- London Gazette Supplement 15 June 1985 Charles Annand Fraser LVO appointed CVO Retrieved 7 September 2011
- London Gazette Supplement 31 December 1988 Charles Annand Fraser CVO appointed Knight of the Royal Victorian Order Retrieved 7 September 2011
- Burke's Peerage and Gentry - extract, FRASER, CHARLES Retrieved 28 October 2010
- "www.rse.org.uk/fellow/charles-fraser/". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 7 August 2017.