Charles Garth, (c.1734 – 9 March 1784) was a British Member of Parliament (MP) and Colonial Agent in pre-revolutionary America.
In 1764 he succeeded father as MP for Devizes and was re-elected in 1765, 1768 and 1780. He relinquished seat in November 1780 to become HM Commissioner for Exercise. He also followed his father by serving as Recorder of Devizes.
- As of 1764, wife Fanny, daughter of John Cooper of Cumberwell.
- Brother Gen. Thomas Garth (1744–1829) chief equerry to King George III
- Brother Gen. George Garth (c. 1735–1819) British general in the American Revolutionary War, Colonel of the 17th Regiment of Foot
- Son Capt. Thomas Garth (Royal Navy),who married Charlotte Maitland, daughter of General Frederick Maitland.
- LB Namier, The English Historical Review, volume 54, 1939.
- The Annual Register, Edmund Burke, 1830
- Blackwoods Edinburgh Magazine, 1819, page 506
- "GARTH, Charles (c.1734-84), of Brownston House, Devizes, Wilts. - History of Parliament Online". www.historyofparliamentonline.org.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
and William Willy
| Member of Parliament for Devizes
Served alongside: William Willy (1764–1765)
James Sutton (1765–1780)
Sir James Tylney Long, Bt. (1780–1780)
Sir James Tylney Long, Bt.
and Henry Jones