|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Charles Hallock (March 13, 1834 – December 2, 1917) was an American author and publisher born in New York City to Gerard Hallock and Elizabeth Allen. On September 10, 1855 he married Amelia J. Wardell.
He was educated at Yale, 1850–51, and Amherst College. He was assistant editor of the New Haven Register, 1854–56; proprietor and associate editor of the New York Journal of Commerce, of which his father was editor, 1856-62. He was founder and publisher, from 1873–80, of Forest and Stream, which was later incorporated into its main competitor Field and Stream.
He experimented in Sunflower culture, using the seed for oil; in sheep raising on Indian reservations; in establishing a reservation for sportsmen in Minnesota; in the development of Alaska and Florida, and of special industries in North Carolina; and in various other sanitary and economic schemes.
- Recluse of the Oconee 1854
- Life of Stonewall Jackson 1863
- The Fishing Tourist 1873 Online Version
- Camp Life in Florida 1875 Online Version
- The Sportsman's Gazetteer 1877 Online Version
- Vacation Rambles in Michigan 1877
- American Club List and Glossary 1878
- Our New Alaska 1886
- The Salmon Fisher 1890 Online Version
- Origin of the American indigenes 1902
- Luminous Bodies Here and Hereafter 1906 Online Version
- An Angler's Reminiscences. A Record of Sport, Travel and Adventure. With Autobiography of the Author 1913 Online Version
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 277.
- “Hallock, Charles” American Authors 1600-1900, The H. W. Wilson Company, 1938
- Swanson, Gloria. (April 1979) A Man Named Hallock City of Hallock Retrieved March 21, 2008
- Dyer, Charles N. History of the Town of Plainfield, Hampshire County, Mass., From Its Settlement to 1891, Including a Genealogical History of Twenty Three of the Original Settlers and Their Descendants, with Anecdotes and Sketches. (p. 154) Northampton, Mass: Press of Gazette Print. Co, 1891. googlebooks Accessed March 21, 2008
- Hallock, Charles. An Angler's Reminiscences; A Record of Sport, Travel and Adventure, with Autobiography of the Author. Cincinnati: Sportsmen's Review Pub. Co, 1913. googlebooks Retrieved March 21, 2008