Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
|Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Founder||Aubrey Good & Doug Rogers|
|Headquarters||Irving, Texas, U.S.|
Number of locations
|165 company-owned and franchise locations|
Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, formerly known as Cheddar's Casual Cafe, is an American restaurant brand based in Irving, Texas. Founded in 1979, the company has more than 163 locations in 23 states as of 2016.
By 2003, Cheddar’s generated $150 million in revenue from 42 restaurants in 13 states and Brazos Private Equity Partners made an initial investment to grow the company that year. In August 2006, when the company generated $245 million in revenue from 55 restaurants in 15 states, Oak Investment Partners and L Catterton Partners jointly purchased Cheddar’s.
In October 2014, Ian Baines was brought on as President and CEO of Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen, after serving as CEO and President at Uno Restaurant Holdings Corporation. Throughout his career he has held various roles of increased responsibility with Darden Restaurants and Brinker International, Inc.
In 2015, the company changed its name to Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen.
In 2017, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen completed its acquisition of 44 restaurant locations from Kentucky-based Greer Companies, the company’s largest franchisee. The purchase increases Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen’s corporately-owned restaurants to 139 out of the 164 locations nationwide, adding locations in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina.
On March 27, 2017, Darden Restaurants announced its intent to acquire Cheddar's from shareholders such as L Catterton and Oak Investment Partners for $780 million plus another $10 million for transaction-related expenses. On March 28, 2017, when Darden announced it that had acquired Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen, Darden became the biggest gainer that day on the S&P 500. The acquisition was completed on April 24, 2017.
Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen serves a variety of made-from-scratch dishes. They are a dining establishment with traditional and modern American fare. Guest favorites include the hand-breaded Chicken Tenders, Homemade Onion Rings, and House Smoked Baby Back Ribs that are smoked for a minimum of six hours.
Awards and honors
Consumer Reports named Cheddar's #1 in the Pub Style or Grill Category in its two restaurant surveys in 2009 and 2012. The company also received the top ranking in value in Nation's Restaurant News/WD Partners' Consumer Picks Edition in 2011, 2012, and in 2013 for value, likelihood to return and likelihood to tell others.
In 2016, Technomic Consumer Choice Awards ranked Cheddar's No. 1 full-service restaurant chain for customer's intent to return.
In July 2016, Cheddar's was named #3 out of the "20 Top Full-Service Chains In Sales And Satisfaction" by Restaurant Business. Of all the full-service restaurants tracked, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen earned the best value ratings from consumers. Its satisfaction score was also among the highest of the group.
Also in 2016, Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen named "Favorite Casual Dining Restaurant" in Market Force Study.
On the local level, Cheddar's received "Best Onion Rings" in the San Antonio Express-News Reader’s Choice Awards 2016. In Daytona, FL they received "Best New Restaurant" in Hometown News, a local paper in east Florida.
- "Cheddar’s Completes Conversion from Casual Café to Scratch Kitchen". Fsrmagazine.com. July 5, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Company Overview of Cheddar’s Casual Café, Inc, Business Week.
- Brazos Partners Sells Cheddar's, Dallas Business Journal.
- Catterton, Oak firms buy Cheddar's from Brazos, Nation's Restaurant News.
- Cheddar’s Casual Café Names New Chairman, PRIME Newswire.
- Cheddar’s Casual Café names Peter Gaudreau EVP of operations, Nation's Restaurant News.
- [dead link]
- "Cheddar’s Gets New Name, Logo - restaurant development + design". Rddmag.com. August 10, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen Acquires Largest Franchisee". Finance.yahoo.com. January 5, 2017. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Arnold, Kyle. "Darden buying value-oriented Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen chain". OrlandoSentinel.com. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Badkar, Mamta (March 28, 2017). "Olive Garden-owner Darden shares poised for best day since ’09". Financial Times. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- "Darden Restaurants finalizes $780M purchase of Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- "Cheddar'S Scratch Kitchen Brings Scratch-Made Goodness To Lakeland - Tampa, Fl Patch". Patch.com. May 5, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- 2012 Fast Food Survey Results are Live Archived July 28, 2013, at the Wayback Machine., Zagat.com.
- Best Chain Restaurant Survey Finds Good Eats At Any Budget, Consumer Reports.
- Consumer Reports releases restaurant ratings, Nation's Restaurant News.
- Consumer Picks, Nation’s Restaurant News, Nation's Restaurant News.
- "Press Release - Technomic Announces 2016 Consumers' Choice Awards for Chain Restaurants". Technomic.com. January 14, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "20 top full-service chains in sales and satisfaction". Restaurantbusinessonline.com. July 5, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen Named Favorite Casual Dining Restaurant in New Market Force Information Study". Marketforce.com. November 22, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "San Antonio Express-News Readers' Choice Awards - Best Eats". Mysanantonio.com. July 15, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- "Cheddar’s Voted Best New Restaurant". Cheddars.com. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Cheddar's — official site