|Edited by||Alfredo de Palchi|
Chelsea Associates (United States)
Chelsea was a small biannual literary magazine based in New York City. Edited for many years by Sonia Raiziss and Alfredo de Palchi, it published poetry, prose, book reviews, and translations with an emphasis on translations, art, and cross-cultural exchange.
The magazine was established in 1958 by Ursule Molinaro, Venable Herndon, George Economou, Robert Kelly and Joan Kelly. Later, Sonia Raiziss was an editor. It published poems and prose by Denise Levertov, Umberto Eco, Raymond Carver, and Grace Paley. Writers such as W. S. Merwin, Sylvia Plath, A. R. Ammons and Paul Auster were published in the magazine when they were still emerging. Two entire issues (1976 and 2000) were devoted to the work of Laura (Riding) Jackson.
The journal has published both new and emerging writers, some of whom have received awards or had their work in the magazine subsequently published in the Pushcart Prize, The Best American Poetry series, the O. Henry Awards, and others.
Chelsea was published twice a year, in June and December, by Chelsea Associates, a non-profit corporation.
Chelsea ceased publication in 2007.
The Chelsea awards for poetry and short fiction
The magazine gave out The Chelsea Award for Poetry and the Chelsea Award for Short Fiction.
- ^ Bruce Benderson (22 March 2002). "Ursule Molinaro". The Review of Contemporary Fiction.
- ^ "45 Years of Chelsea". Archived from the original on 12 April 2012.
- ^ Daniel Kane (2003). All Poets Welcome. University of California Press. pp. 90–91. ISBN 978-0-520-23385-0.
robert kelly joan kelly.
- ^ Albert Gelpi, Robert J. Bertholf (2006). Robert Duncan and Denise Levertov: the poetry of politics, the politics of poetry. Stanford University Press. pp. 99–100. ISBN 978-0-8047-5131-5.
- ^ Chelsea Editions
- Biannual magazines published in the United States
- Poetry magazines published in the United States
- Defunct literary magazines published in the United States
- Magazines established in 1958
- Magazines disestablished in 2007
- Magazines published in New York City
- Literary magazines published in the United States stubs