From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Chettiars)
- R. K. Shanmukham Chetty KCIE (17 October 1892 – 5 May 1953) was an Indian lawyer, economist and politician who served as independent India's first finance minister from 1947 to 1949. He also served as President of India's Central Legislative Assembly from 1933 to 1935 and Diwan of Cochin kingdom from 1935 to 1941.
- Alagappa Chettiar Founder of Alagappa University, Karaikudi.
- Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar Founder of Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai.
- Annamalai Chettiar Founder of Annamalai University, Chidambaram and Founder of Chettinad group of Companies.
- M. A. Muthiah Chettiar First Mayor of Chennai.
- A.M.M. Murugappa Chettiar: Founder of Murugappa Group.
- Avichi Meiyappa Chettiar Founder of AVM Productions.
- M. Ct. M. Chidambaram Chettyar Founder of Indian Overseas Bank.
- Ramaswami Chettiar One of the founders of Indian Bank.
- R. K. Shanmukham Chetty First Finance Minister of India
- Angidi Chettiar Former Vice President of Mauritius
- T. S. Avinashilingam Chettiar Former Member of Parliament, Coimbatore
- "Chettiar Band, AVM To FM". http://www.outlookindia.com/. Retrieved 2016-04-09. External link in
- "Chettiars reign where wealth meets godliness". timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- Bhat, Dhananjaya (19 March 2006). "Chettinad home to stately mansions". Spectrum. The Tribune. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- Jaffrelot, Christophe; Kumar, Sanjay (2012-05-04). Rise of the Plebeians?: The Changing Face of the Indian Legislative Assemblies. Routledge. ISBN 9781136516610.
- Christine Dobson, Asian Entrepreneurial Minorities, Curzon Press UK, 1996. (A chapter in the book is devoted to the Chettiars who set up businesses in Burma.)
- Rajeswary Brown (1993) "Chettiar capital and Southeast Asian credit networks in the inter-war period". In G. Austin and K. Sugihara, eds. Local Suppliers of Credit in the Third World, 1750-1960. (New York: St. Martin's Press).
- Kudaisya, Medha M. (2009). "Marwari and Chettiar Merchants. 1850s-1950s: Comparative Trajectories". In Kudaisya, Medha M.; Ng, Chin-Keong. Chinese and Indian Business: Historical Antecedents. Leiden: BRILL. ISBN 9789004172791.
- David Rudner (1989) Banker's Trust and the Culture of Banking among the Nattukottai Chettiars of Colonial South India. Modern Asian Studies 23 (3), 417-458.
- Heiko Schrader (1996) Chettiar Finance in Colonial Asia. Zeitschrift fur Ethnologie 121, 101-126.