Chhim Sothy was born in 1969 in Kandal Province. He studied 10 years at the Royal University of Fine Arts in Phnom Penh where he learned traditional Khmer painting. Chhim Sothy displayed his paintings in Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore, the United States and France where his exhibition in Carcassonne was met with considerable success.
His work is characterised by a diversity of styles, often generating spontaneous and gestural abstract painting, and simultaneously generating, skilful and well balanced, traditional painting. He often incorporates mythical characters into his works with an anachronistic explosion of colour. "I am like a monk searching for Wisdom" he has been quoted as saying 
- 2005: Victoria Hotels and Resorts, Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- 2004: Fealac Art Exhibit Guidelines in Manila, Philippine.
- 2004: French Cultural Center Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2004: Maison du Chevalier, Carcasonne, France.
- 2004: Ganesha Gallery, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2003: "Vision of Future", Reyum Gallery, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2003: 60th Celebration of Silapakorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- 2003: Le Royal, Raffles International Hotel, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2002: Providence College, Rhode Island, USA.
- 2002: French Cultural Center Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- 2002: National Cultural Center, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2004: 1st prize of Painting (Future of Culture), Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2003: 1st prize of Painting (Life and Nature), Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2003: 2nd prize of "Utopies, Dream or Reality", French Cultural Center, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2000: 1st prize of traditional painting by the Plastic arts and Crafts Department, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- 2000: Asean Art Awards, Singapore, Phillip Moris Group
- http://www.angkorfineart.com/ChhimSothybio[permanent dead link]
|This article about a Cambodian artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|