|Screenplay by||Inder Raj Anand|
|Edited by||Shivaji Awdhut|
|Distributed by||Prasad Productions Pvt. Ltd.|
|February 6, 1959|
Chhoti Bahen is a 1959 Hindi film that stars Nanda in the title role, and Balraj Sahni, Rehman. The movie was a remake of 1952 Tamil movie En Thangai. The film was remade in Telugu as Aada Paduchu with Shoban Babu and in Kannada as Onde Balliya Hoogalu.
Rajendra lives a poor lifestyle along with his younger collegian brother, Shekhar, as well a younger sister, Meena. He is in love with a school-teacher, and both hope to get married after Meena and Shekhar's marriages. Luck shines upon them and Meena's marriage is arranged with Dr. Ramesh, while Shekhar decides to wed Shobha, the only daughter of a wealthy man obsessed with horse-racing. Rajendra mortgages his house with his paternal uncle. Then things turn sour after Meena loses her vision; the wedding gets canceled, and Rajendra is humiliated by Ramesh's dad. Rajendra decides to remain single to look after Meena, and permits Shekhar and Shobha to get married. The marriage takes place, and Shobha moves in. Shortly thereafter misunderstandings crop, lead to arguments with Shekhar and Shobha moving out to live with Shobha's dad. Then Rajendra is fired from his job, his paternal uncle takes over the house, and asks him to leave. Homeless, they turn to Shekhar for help, but he refuses to assist them in any way. Then Rajendra falls ill and gets separated from his sister, while Shekhar takes to horse-racing and alcohol, and a path that will only lead to self-destruction.
- Balraj Sahni as Rajendra
- Nanda as Meena
- Dhumal as Sukhiya
- Mehmood as Mahesh
- Shubha Khote as Sheela
- Shyama as Shobha
- Rehman as Shekhar
- Kanchanamala as Chanchal
- Hari Shivdasani as Ramesh's father
- Badri Prasad as Shobha's father
- Kunwar Keshav as Doctor
- Radhakrishan as Mahesh's father
- Sudesh Kumar as Dr. Ramesh
- Veena as Yashoda
|Soundtrack album by Shankar-Jaikishan|
|Released||31 December 1959|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||Jaoon Kahan Bata Ae Dil||Mukesh||Hasrat Jaipuri|
|2||Main Rangeela Pyar Ka Rahi||Lata Mangeshkar & Subir Sen||Hasrat Jaipuri|
|3||Kali Anar Ki Na Itna Satao||Asha Bhosle & Manna Dey||Hasrat Jaipuri|
|4||Main Rickshwala||Mohd. Rafi||Shailendra|
|5||Yeh Kaisa Nyay Tera||Lata Mangeshkar||Shailendra|
|6||Bagon Mein Baharon Mein||Lata Mangeshkar||Shailendra|
|7||Badi Door Se Aai Hoon Main||Lata Mangeshkar||Shailendra|
|8||Bhaiya Mere Rakhi Ke Bandhan Ko||Lata Mangeshkar||Shailendra|
- Song "Bhaiya Mere Rakhi Ke Bandhan Ko" was listed at #21 on Binaca Geetmala annual list 1959.
- Song "Main Rickshwala" was listed at #13 on Binaca Geetmala annual list 1959.
- Song "Kali Anar Ki Na Itna Satao" was listed at #9 on Binaca Geetmala annual list 1959.
- Song "Main Rangeela Pyar Ka Rahi" was listed at #8 on Binaca Geetmala annual list 1959.
Awards and Nominations
- Nomination Filmfare Award for Best Film
- Nomination Filmfare Award for Best Director - Prasad
- Nomination Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor - Mehmood as Mahesh
- Nomination Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Shankar-Jaikishan
- Nomination Filmfare Award for Best Playback Singer - Lata Mangeshkar for the song "Bhaiya Mere Rakhi Ke Bandhan Ko"