Digital World Foundation - Pitch with the Artist Chiara Passa (eng/ita) MAXXI MUSEUM, May 2016.
|Education||MFA Fine Art Academy. Master in new audio-visual mediums at the Faculty of Modern Literature|
|Known for||New media art, net art, Interactive video installation|
|Live Architectures series, Live sculpture, Dimensioning, Google Earth Extemporary Land Art, Ideasonair.net, The Widget Art Gallery|
|Awards||she received diverse awards and recognitions including: ATA Grant for media art 2015;|
Her artistic research analyses differences in virtual spaces through a variety of techniques - often using augmented reality and virtual reality technologies. She works with animation and interactive video-installation, digital art in public space as site-specific artworks and Projection mapping, video sculpture, art-applications and Widget (GUI)  for mobile platforms.
In 1996, Passa began her work in animation and video-installation, which has been described as a constant study of the figure, geometric and essential, combined with a three-dimensional and dynamic vision of the virtual space. In 1999, Passa coined the term "Super Place" as a reference for "Extens(z)ion Projects" and later for "Live Architectures" - a series of digital artworks developed over time and based on the concept of "super place" where the site is self-performing and moves beyond its capabilities, reflecting on the idea of the virtual/unreal and how human bodies, in real space, are related to this kind of dimension/experience.
Passa's artistic research mainly explores architecture as interface, for example in the virtual reality series "Dimensioning" that aims to create a multi-dimensional extension of the space, allowing visitors to navigate into a moving 360¬∞ area. The net-art series "Extemporary Land Art on Google Earth" aims to create an extemporary-temporary virtual land-art through augmented reality technology, constructing and re-constructing a sort of "mise en abyme" or "droste effect" in which an element shifts the other in depth. The Google earth environment merges with the augmented area in order to create a new space. "Live sculpture" is an interactive software-artwork where the body of the viewer is fully involved and becoming a three-dimensional marble sculpture constituted by variable virtual meshes. In 2005 Passa created the blog-art project "ideasonair.net-blogging as an open art project" (2005-2012 online archive). This was a conceptual net-artwork in progress that put into practice the concept of "open artwork", creating and sharing many artistic ideas in various fields between artists, curators, critics and art lovers.
In 2009 (ongoing) Passa created and developed "The Widget Art Gallery", a web-app as virtual gallery, which every two months hosts a solo digital art exhibition (supporting digital artists) related to and inspired by its dynamic site-specific context. The "Widget Art Gallery" works both as a gallery showing temporary exhibitions and as a permanent collection museum, conserving all the past exhibitions inside an online archive.
- David England, Thecla Schiphorst, Nick Bryan-Kinns (June 2016). Curating the Digital: Space for Art and Interaction. Book Widget Art Gallery, pages 10,11 Edition Springer ISBN 978-3-319-28722-5
- Insideart Magazine n.107 - 9771974190004 60107 (10/2016). Focus: The second space, the virtual one (pg. 78-83). By Francesco Angelucci.
- Polveroni Adriana (February 9 2003) “Stravolgi il videogame diventerai un artista” (ita) La Repubblica. http://www.repubblica.it/online/spettacoli_e_cultura/netart/siracusa/siracusa.html
- TRECCANI - Enciclopedia Italiana di scienze, lettere ed arti. Nona appendice, Internet art; Net art; Web art (Roma 2015). ISBN 978-88-12-00557-4.
- Elena Giulia Rossi (30 June 2016) "Michael Andrews, A Fiber Artist at the Widget Art Gallery". Arshake http://www.arshake.com/en/un-fiber-artist-nella-widget-art-gallery/
- Corinna Kirsch (25 December 2015) "GIF of the Day: Chiara Passa" http://artfcity.com/2014/12/25/gif-of-the-day-chiara-passa/
- Nara Shin (06 May 2015) From Cool Hunting Magazine - Net-Art “Flashcrash at the Widget Art Gallery”.
- EVA: Electronic visualization technologies and the arts (July 2015, London). BCS book ISBN 978-1-78017-316-0
- R. Bosco and S. Caldana "Un artista en el banner - Chiara Passa the fourth dimension banner" (23 April 2014). El Pais (technological blog).
- J. Potts (2014) "The Future of Writing." Editions Palgarve Macmillan. eBook ISBN 978-1-137-44040-2. Hardcover ISBN 978-1-137-44039-6
- Antonello Tolve (2013) Ubiquità - Arte e critica d'arte nell'epoca del policentrismo planetario’ ed. Quodlibet. ISBN 9788874625048; includes a chapter on the Widget Art Gallery.
- Silvia Scaravaggi "SUONI E IMMAGINI NELLO SPAZIO interview on Chiara Passa" (issue-040, 2009). Digicult Magazine
- Vito Campanelli, (2011) “Culture and New Media: 5 Questions by Lev Manovich”. Mao Editions ISBN 978-88-95869-06-3.
- Filippo Lorenzin (September 23 2013) Gallerie d’arte online. Intervista con Chiara Passa. Artribune
- Rob Myers (1 September 2013) ""A Symbol" Bill Miller at The Widget Art Gallery". Furtherfield http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/symbol-bill-miller-widget-art-gallery
- Andrea Bruciati, Antonella Crippa (2004) "On air" ISBN 88-8215-771-7 editions Silvana (English/Italian)
- "Chiara Passa. Dimensioning Live Architecture" (press release) Archived 2016-08-06 at the Wayback Machine, Arshake website, 22 March 2016.
- "ATA selection". Archived from the original on 2016-10-22. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Pioneers net-art" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-10-19. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Turbulence net art". Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- From media art magazine we-make-money-not-art.com
- "Video mapping Festival" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-10-19. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "From ISEA media art festival and conference" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- From website the3inchcanvas Archived 2016-10-21 at the Wayback Machine"
- "From Nettime media art - 48th Venice Biennale". Archived from the original on 2015-09-20. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "From Leonardo Electronic Almanac MIT" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-03-31. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- From furtherfield.org
- "From ithaca.edu". Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-12-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- From the publication Dark Precursor
- from turbulence.org
- Maura Lucking (29 October 2012) "Gallery in Your Pocket: An Interview with Chiara Passa" Archived 2016-03-29 at the Wayback Machine, Rhizome.
- Roberta Bosco/Stefano Caldana (1 March 2012) "Una galería de arte en el bolsillo" Archived 2016-04-03 at the Wayback Machine, El País (technology blog).
- Elena Giulia Rossi (11 October 2013) "Widget Art Gallery. A Gallery Between Worlds" Archived 2016-10-21 at the Wayback Machine, Arshake. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Official website
- Ideasonair-Blogging as an open art project
- Video presentation of the solo show at FurtherField gallery, London 2016
- Talk/presentation of "Live sculpture" at EVA-Electronic Visualization Arts, London 2015
- Talk/presentation of "The Widget Art Gallery" at Media Art Histories Conference, Riga 2013