||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2014)|
November 20, 1970|
Chih-Wei Huang (黃志偉) is a free software developer and promoter who lives in Taiwan. He is famous for his works on the VoIP and internationalization and localization fields in Greater China. The user name he usually uses is cwhuang.
Huang graduated from National Taiwan University(NTU) in 1993, with a bachelor's degree in physics, and a master's degree in the electrical engineering department of NTU in 2000. He worked as a director in Top Technology Inc., the CTO of Citron Network Inc., and a project manager of Tecom Inc. Huang currently works as a senior researcher of Core Technology Center in ASUSTeK Computer Inc. He is one of the start members of Software Liberty Association of Taiwan (SLAT), and the first and second members of the SLAT Council.
Free software development
Chih-Wei Huang is the founder and coordinator of Chinese Linux Documentation Project (CLDP)
- He wrote the Linux Chinese HOWTO, and translate HOWTO Index, Linux META-FAQ, Serial HOWTO, DNS HOWTO, Linux Information SHEET, Java-CGI HOWTO, IP Masquerade mini-HOWTO and so on. He developed a utility named SGMLtools Chinese Kits to solve the Chinese processing issues of SGML.
He is also the second coordinator of Chinese Linux Extensions (CLE).:He was a developer of CLE since v0.7, and became the coordinator of CLE v0.9. He pushed the Chinese localization for KDE, GNOME, Abiword. He co-worked with Yuan-Chung Cheng, Tung-Han Hsieh to push ARPHIC Inc. to release four Chinese truetype fonts for the free software community under Arphic Public License. He also wrote a book for CLE with others.
As Core Developer of GNU Gatekeeper (from 2001 to 2003), he developed new features like thread-safed runtime tables, neighbors and authentication modules, full H.323 proxy and the Citron's NAT technology. He wrote the first version of English and Chinese manual for GnuGK. He won the first prize of Open Source Contest Taiwan in 2003.
He serves as The committer of KDE、GNOME, and helps to translate the .po files and fixes bugs related to Chinese. He is the contributor of pyDict、OpenH323、Asterisk、GStreamer etc. He works on a way to leverage the ASUS Eee PC with the power of the free software community., and aims to provide a complete solution for Android at x86 platform. Eee PC、VirtualBox、QEMU are tested OK.
Here are some Chinese interviews of Chih-Wei Huang:
- He talked about how to develop a VoIP business by open source model.
- 2004, Taiwan.CNET, A special report for seeking the power of free software in Taiwan - An interview of Chih-Wei Huang
- He talked about his free software concepts, the experiences of CLE development, and how to combine free software and business model.
- GNU Gatekeeper Project
- Famous Linux contributors in Greater China (中國 Linux 的傑出人物)
- The list of first members of SLAT Council
- The list of second members of SLAT Council
- Chinese Linux Documentation Project
- Taiwan.CNET A special report for seeking the power of free software in Taiwan (尋找台灣自由軟體力量專題報導)
- 中文延伸套件使用指南 for CLE v0.9p1 ISBN 957-30701-0-3
- GnuGK Paper for ICOS 2003
- 2003 中華民國軟體自由協會軟體競賽得獎名單
- KDE SVN account
- EeeCommunity @ SourceForge
- *Android-x86 @ Google code