Chime Communications Limited
|Private limited company|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Christopher Satterthwaite (CEO)|
Number of employees
CSM Sport & Entertainment
Chime Specialist Group
Chime Insight & Engagement
Chime Communications Limited is a marketing services company headquartered in London, United Kingdom. Chime is the holding company for a portfolio of companies which include sports marketing, public relations, advertising, digital, marketing, research, corporate responsibility and healthcare communications.
Chime started as a private company in 1989 following a management buyout from Lowe Howard Spink and Bell to form Lowe Bell Communications and subsequently floated in 1994 as Chime Communications plc before going private again in late 2015. Chime comprises five divisions, 54 companies and over 2,000 people.
The group comprises CSM in sport and entertainment; the VCCP Partnership in marketing communications; OPEN Health in healthcare communications and market access; CIE in market research; and the Chime Specialist Group for communications in specialist market places. 
Chime Ventures is the investment unit within Chime Communications headed by Nick Taylor, founder of Harvard PR and Chris Satterthwaite. It is responsible for identifying and supporting new businesses and entrepreneurs in marketing communications. It was launched in March 2011 and backs advertising, marketing, public relations, sports marketing and research start-up companies within and outside of the Chime Group.
Companies that Chime has previously backed include VCCP Search, an offshoot of Chimes's advertising agency VCCP; VCCP Health; and Bell Pottinger Middle East.
The company is governed by an executive management team, consisting of Christopher Satterthwaite (chief executive), Mark Smith (chief operating officer and finance director), Robert Davison (group services director), Stephanie Brimacombe (chief marketing officer), Kate Fraser (HR director) and heads of Chime’s operating divisions: Lord Coe, Zak Brown, Crispin Beale, Adrian Coleman, Jo Parker and David Rowley.
Notable former directors include Lord Davies of Abersoch (who left the board following Chime's takeover in October 2015), Lord Hannay of Chiswick and Dame Sue Tinson (who both left the board on 31 December 2006), and Lord Bell (who left the board in June 2012 following a MBO by Bell Pottinger's management team).
Stock Exchange de-listing
Chime was de-listed from the London Stock Exchange on 16 October 2015 and re-registered as a private company following a takeover by Providence Equity Partners (81.1%) and WPP plc (18.9%). Chime was re-registered as a limited company on 19 October 2015.
- "Chime Group - Business overview". Chime Communications plc. Chime. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- WPP http://www.wpp.com/wpp/companies/chime-communications-limited/. Retrieved 9 November 2015. Missing or empty
- Sweney, Mark (31 May 2012). "Chime agrees £20m Bell Pottinger sell-off". guardian.co.uk, Thursday 31 May 2012 08.24 BST. London: The Guardian. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "Chime Ventures". Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Tarran, Brian (17 March 2011). "Research Live". Research Live.
- "NMA". Nmamarketingservicesguide.co.uk.
- "Chime Communications Limited website". Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "RNS 84070 Chime Communications directorate changes". MorningStar, 2 January 2007. MorningStar. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Completion of Disposal". Market Announcements, Monday 02 July 2012. Chime plc. Retrieved 20 August 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Chime targets expansion after completing £374m sale to WPP/Providence". Retrieved 4 November 2015.