|Alma mater||Brown University|
|Known for||Co-founder of PlanetSpace and New Generation Power International|
Chirinjeev Kathuria is an Indian-American investor, businessperson, and philanthropist. Kathuria is the co-founder and chairman of New Generation Power International, and co-founder of Veriown and PlanetSpace. He also ran for the US Senate in Illinois in 2004 against Barack Obama, where he was the first Indian American and Sikh to run for Federal office in US history.
Chirinjeev Kathuria was born in New Delhi, India and came with his parents to Chicago, Illinois at the age of eight months. He has received a Bachelor of Science and Doctorate of Medicine from Brown University and a Master of Business Administration from Stanford University.
In 2004, Kathuria ran for U.S. Senate in Illinois, becoming the first Indian-American and first person of the Sikh religion running for federal office in US history, in a race that included eventual winner, Barack Obama. Kathuria co-founded American Teleradiology NightHawks Inc., which was acquired in 2005 by NightHawk Radiology Holdings Inc., and the combined company went public on NASDAQ in 2006. In 2010 he co-founded New Generation Power International and, later, Veriown. Kathuria has also been involved in space exploration, and was the Founding Director of Mircorp, the first commercial company to privately launch and fund manned space programs. Kathuria also invested in Russia's Mir space station in its final days. In 2005, Chirinjeev Kathuria co-founded PlanetSpace, a privately funded Chicago-based rocket and space travel project, which bid for NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services contract with Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Alliant Techsystems.
- "Dr. Chirinjeev Kathuria - Illinois Senate Race - Candidate Profile". www.ilsenate.com.
- "Chirinjeev Baboo Kathuria M.D., M.B.A.: Executive Profile & Biography". www.bloomberg.com. Bloomberg.
- "The University of the Virgin Islands Announces $30 Million Gift for the Development of a Medical School". www.uvi.edu.
- "New Generation Power LLC: Company Profile". Bloomberg.
- Cole, Nicolas (9 June 2017). "Three Companies You've Never Heard Of That Will Truly Change The World". Huffington Post.
- "These 3 Power Brokers Will Transform the Future of Energy (1 of Them Is Elon Musk)". Inc. Magazine.
- "Chirinjeev Kathuria: "If You Fail, Learn From It"". The Sikh Times.
- "Vote for a turban and a beard". The Economist. 24 July 2003.
- "Interview With Chirinjeev Kathuria". www.cnn.com. CNN.
- "Millionaire Hopes to Be First Tourist In Space". The New York Times. 20 June 2000.
- "Sikh bids for US history". BBC. 25 August 2003 – via news.bbc.co.uk.
- Boudette, Neal E. (16 June 2000). "Space Buffs Attempt to Make Their Mir Tourist Venture Fly". Wall Street Journal – via www.wsj.com.
- Boudette, Neal E. (12 October 2000). "MirCorp Announces IPO Plans As Interest in Outer Space Soars". Wall Street Journal – via www.wsj.com.
- "Space partners plan flights in 2007". NBC News. 17 May 2005.
- "Canadian space flight dreams live on". CBC.
- "Competition Heats Up for Space Station Cargo Contract". Space.com.
- "Boeing Joins PlanetSpace Space Station Resupply Bid Team". Space News. 28 October 2008.