Big Black in June 2010 in Los Angeles
January 13, 1972|
Raleigh, Mississippi, U.S.
|Died||May 9, 2017
Plano, Texas, U.S.
|Cause of death||Myocardial infarction|
|Other names||"Big Black" Boykin|
|Spouse(s)||Shannon Turley (m. 2008; div. 2009)|
Christopher "Big Black" Boykin (January 13, 1972 – May 9, 2017) was an American television personality and musician best known for his role on MTV's Rob & Big, which followed him and his co-star, skateboarder Rob Dyrdek.
From November 2006 to April 2008, he and Dyrdek starred in the reality television series Rob & Big on MTV. Boykin set two Guinness world records for peeling and eating three bananas in 1 minute and for the most powdered doughnuts eaten in less than 3 minutes (5 donuts in 2 minutes, 45 seconds).
He was featured in skateboarding video games Skate, and Skate 2 alongside Dyrdek. An early episode of Rob & Big features Dyrdek and Boykin doing work on the first game at the game developer, EA Black Box. The series ended when Boykin left to attend to family matters. In 2011, he rekindled his relationship with Dyrdek and took a main role in Dyrdek's show Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory. He appeared on three episodes of Dyrdek's other show Ridiculousness as well as MTV Guy Code and MTV Snack Off.
Boykin launched a clothing brand, Big Black, in 2007. It marketed items such as T-shirts and hats that bore his catchphrase, "Do Work."
Personal life and death
Before his death, Boykin was hospitalized a week prior in Plano, Texas to monitor his heart, already having a defibrillator and previous heart issues. On May 9, 2017, doctors attempted to revive Boykin for 30 minutes, however he was pronounced dead at 4:00 p.m. (CDT). Although initially an official cause of death hadn't been reported, it was cited Boykin had suffered from a heart attack.
- Salam, Maya (10 May 2017). "Christopher Boykin, Half of the MTV Odd Couple ‘Rob & Big,’ Dies at 45". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Stedman, Alex (May 9, 2017). "Christopher ‘Big Black’ Boykin, ‘Rob & Big’ Star, Dies at 45". Variety. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "T Mobile Guide to Action". T Mobile. Archived from the original on December 16, 2006. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Christopher 'Big Black' Boykin, star of MTV's 'Rob & Big,' dies at 45". Fox News. May 10, 2017. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Aiello, McKenna. "Rob & Big Star Christopher Big Black Boykin Dead at 45". E!. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Meara, Paul (May 10, 2017). "Big Black's Ex-Wife, Daughter Break Their Silence on His Death". BET. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "Christopher 'Big Black' Boykin Hospitalized for Days Before Death According to Ex-Wife". TMZ. May 10, 2017. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Marquina, Sierra (May 10, 2017). "Christopher 'Big Black' Boykin Died of Heart Failure: Report". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- "'Rob & Big' Star Christopher 'Big Black' Boykin Dead at 45". TMZ. May 9, 2017. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Stone, Natalie (May 9, 2017). "Rob and Big Star Christopher ‘Big Black’ Boykin Dies at 45". People. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Ossad, Jordana (May 9, 2017). "Rob And Big Star Christopher 'Big Black' Boykin Dead At 45". MTV News. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
|This United States biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|