Life and career
He was born in North Chicago, Illinois. During World War II, he received a four Bronze Battle Stars while working on the combat air crew and cinematographer on B-24 and A-26 in the Pacific. Upon his death in 2010, he was buried at Riverside National Cemetery in Riverside, California.
After the war he worked at Douglas Aircraft as a trainee before starting his own business in 1947 Century Precision Optics Company of North Hollywood, California where he developed the Tele-Athenar telephoto lens which were used by Walt Disney photographers in the True Life Adventures series.
In 1969, he and his partner Allan Silliphant received a patent for the world's 1st Single-Camera 3-D Motion Picture Lens and they formed the company Magnavision which was changed to StereoVision Entertainment. After the success of soft X, eventually R rated 3D movie The Stewardesses he and Silliphant founded Sierra Pacific Airlines. which continued to operate under several newer owners a fleet of Convair prop-jets and later, Boeing 737 jets, under the current owners.
In 1972, he received a patent for a special widescreen 3-D camera lens for modern 35mm and 70mm reflex motion picture cameras.
- The Stewardesses (filmed in Stereovision 3D) (1969)
- The Volcano Creature (co-producer)
- The CIA Girls of Capitol Hill (co-producer)
- Mr. Howard's Crazy Airline (co-producer)
- The Wild Ride (co-producer and director of 3D photography)
- The Volcano Creature and Surfer Girls (co-producer and director of 3D photography)
- Magda The Gypsy Fortune Teller co-produced with Gary Tomsic and Herb Liteman (filmed in Stereovision 3D) (1999)
- Jaws 3-D (Cinematographer and Chief 3-D Consultant) 1983
- "Chris J. Condon, Pioneer of 3-D". 3d.hollywoodfilmsinternational.com. Retrieved 2010-12-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chris Condon at Find a Grave
- Dore, Shalini (2010-12-20). "3D pioneer Chris Condon dies - Entertainment News, Film News, Media". Variety. Retrieved 2010-12-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chris J. Condon - IMDb