Law in 2019
|Member of Parliament|
for Dundee West
|Assumed office |
7 May 2015
|Preceded by||Jim McGovern|
Christopher Murray Alexander
21 October 1969
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||University of St Andrews|
Christopher Murray Alexander Law (born 21 October 1969) is a Scottish National Party (SNP) politician. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Dundee West since 2015. He was first elected at the 2015 general election, winning a seat that had been held by Labour for the previous 65 years.
Early life and education
Law was born in Edinburgh in 1969 and grew up in Fife, where he attended Glenwood High in Glenrothes then later Madras College in St Andrews. Law later trained as a French chef, then went to the University of St Andrews where he received a degree in Cultural and Social Anthropology. He developed a love of India while at university and for ten years operated a business providing tours of the Himalayas on 1950s motorcycles. For a decade after returning to Scotland he operated a business as a financial adviser in Dundee. Law initially joined the SNP in 1999, and rejoined after returning to the UK in 2010.
Law was a prominent Yes campaigner during the 2014 Scottish independence referendum and was the founder of the Spirit of Independence road tour of communities that toured Scotland in a refurbished Green Goddess fire engine.
He was chosen to contest the Dundee West constituency in the 2015 general election and received 27,684 votes – 61.9% – as he took the seat from Labour with a 17,092 majority. From 2015 to 2017 he served on the Scottish Affairs Committee. In the 2017 General Election, he held his seat, receiving 18,045 votes (46.7%), down 15.3% compared to the 2015 election. His majority was reduced to 5,262 votes - 13.6%. Following his re-election, Law was appointed SNP Westminster Spokesperson for International Development and Climate Justice, and now sits as the only non-Labour or Conservative member on the International Development Committee.
Law was a notable critic of Aung San Suu Kyi following the Myanmar Rohingya refugee crisis, and repeatedly called for her Freedom of the City of Dundee to be stripped. In March 2018, just days before a visit to the country with the International Development Committee to investigate allegations of human rights abuses, the visas issued to members of the Committee including Law were denied.
On 25 April 2018, Law secured a debate in Westminster Hall on 'Protecting Children in Conflict'. In his speech, he called on the UK Government to do more to protect and prevent violence against children in conflict zones, such as Yemen and South Sudan.
Law serves as the co-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Video Games. In October 2018, Law backed The Independent Game Developers' Association's calls for a Video Games Investment Fund in the Chancellor's Autumn Budget.
Law has been a critic of the UK Government's benefits policy, particularly on Universal Credit.
- "List of Members returned to Parliament at the General Election 2015 Scotland". The Edinburgh Gazette. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Election Live: Tory majority as Miliband, Clegg, Farage quit - BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. 7 May 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Liddle, Andrew (8 May 2015). "General Election 2015: SNP's Chris Law 'puts Labour into retirement' with victory in Dundee West". The Courier. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- Bircham, Josh; Costello, Grant (2015). We Are The 56. Glasgow: Freight Books. p. 17. ISBN 978-1-910449-51-6.
- "Meet your new Scottish MPs: #24 Chris Law, Dundee West". The National. 13 June 2015.
- "The fourth emergency service: MP Chris Law hails foster families as he reveals he spent years of childhood in care". The Sunday Post. 25 March 2018.
- "Dundee West Election Results". www.dundeecity.gov.uk. 27 April 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Chris Law MP". www.parliament.uk. 22 October 2016. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "Dundee West parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". BBC News. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Membership - International Development Committee". www.parliament.uk. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "'Outrage' as HMRC to close offices in Dundee". Evening Telegraph. 13 November 2018.
- "Spain and the Catalan referendum". The Guardian. London. 21 September 2017.
- "MP calls for Aung San Suu Kyi to be stripped of Freedom of Dundee". The Courier Dundee. 3 March 2018.
- "Chris Law MP: The government must protect the harrowing numbers of children living in conflict zones". Politics Home. 24 April 2018.
- "ALL-PARTY PARLIAMENTARY GROUP ON VIDEO GAMES". www.appgs.org/. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "In conversation with SNP MP Chris Law". www1.dehavilland.co.uk/. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "Tibet's Cause At the Heart of UK Parliamentarians". www.tibet.net. 29 September 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Chris Law profile
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Dundee West