Christ Junior College
|Affiliation||Pre-University Board, Government of Karnataka|
|Principal||Father Sebastian Mathai|
|Students||2873 (Year 2016-17)|
|Location||Hosur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Christ Junior College (CJC) is a Pre-University college located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. The institution was under the purview of Christ College and was formed in the academic year 2002-03 as a result of the bifurcation of the Degree and Pre-University courses. CJC functions from a single and separate building located in the Christ University campus.
CJC was started in 1969 under the name of Christ College. Christ College initially offered Pre-University and undergraduate courses to its students. Over the past 40 years, it has increased its academic programmes to include postgraduate and diploma programmes. It established itself as a separate institution in 2002 following the bifurcation of the Pre-University course from the other academic programmes offered by the then Christ College.
Admissions to CJC are extremely competitive and are based on the marks obtained by a student in the Class X board examinations held across India. Cut-off percentages for admission to I PUC in CJC are generally the highest amongst the various Bangalore city colleges offering Pre-University courses.
CJC has a number of specialised academic departments which cater to students studying in the different streams offered by the college. The college has nine such departments:
- The Department of English
- The Department of Languages
- The Department of Physics
- The Department of Chemistry
- The Department of Mathematics
- The Department of Biology
- The Department of Electronics
- The Department of Commerce
- The Department of Social Sciences
CJC offers PU degree combinations in science, commerce and social sciences. English is a compulsory first language and there are four optional second languages namely, Kannada, Sanskrit, Hindi and French. The following are the stream-wise core subject combinations offered by CJC:
- PCMB (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology)
- PCME (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Electronics)
- CAMS (Commerce [Business Studies], Accountancy, Basic Mathematics, Statistics)
- CAME (Commerce [Business Studies], Accountancy, Basic Mathematics, Economics)
- HEPP (History, Economics, Political Science, Psychology)
- HESP (History, Economics, Sociology, Political Science)
- PPES (Psychology, Political Science, Economics, Sociology)
CJC also provides its students with a learning management system (LMS), an internet-based e-learning tool, to facilitate learning and sharing of information outside the classroom.
CJC has a very vibrant and dynamic student culture. Apart from academics, the college encourages students to actively engage in a whole host of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities in order to facilitate their holistic development.
Associations and Clubs
CJC offers the opportunity for its students to engage and participate in the various clubs that are considered a vital part of its educational programme. The following are the clubs currently present in the college:
- The Student Welfare Office (SWO)
- The Science Forum
- Social Sciences Association (SPECTRUM)
- The Commerce Association (COLOSSUS)
- The Association of Christian Christities (ACC)
- Eco-Club (PRAKRUTHI)
- Language Association (PRERANA)
- The English Literary Club (PIERIAN SPRING)
- The Quiz Club (SEDES MINERVA)
- The College Brass Band
- The College Choir
- The National Cadet Corps (NCC)
- Centre for Social Action (CSA)
- Campus Sports
- Tech Club
CJC organized the first edition of the CJCMUN in 2008. It went inter-school in 2010. In 2011, the college participated in the India-edition of the Harvard Model United Nations organised by the Harvard International Relations Council and received a number of awards. The CJCMUN has since gone on to become one of the most popular MUNs in the city of Bangalore.
International Exchange Programmes
- Jose. "CHRIST JUNIOR COLLEGE, Bengaluru | Home - About Us - The Institution". cjc.christcollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "I PU cut-off marks go through the roof - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Jose. "CHRIST JUNIOR COLLEGE, Bengaluru | Home - Academics - Departments". cjc.christcollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Jose. "CHRIST JUNIOR COLLEGE, Bengaluru | Home - Academics - Academic Programmes". cjc.christcollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Jose. "CHRIST JUNIOR COLLEGE, Bengaluru | Home - Student World - Associations and Clubs". cjc.christcollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Jose. "CHRIST JUNIOR COLLEGE, Bengaluru | Home - Student World - International Immersion and Exchange Programmes". cjc.christcollege.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
|This article about a university or college in Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|