The neutrality of this article is disputed. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Humboldt-University, Berlin|
|Awards||HIST Award, ACS, 2015|
|Institutions||Hasso Plattner Institute, University of Potsdam|
Christoph Meinel (Univ.-Prof., Dr. sc. nat., Dr. rer. nat., born 14 April 1954, Meißen, Germany) is a German scientist and university professor of computer sciences. He is president and CEO of the Hasso Plattner Institute (HPI) for Digital Engineering, dean of the Digital Engineering Faculty of the University of Potsdam (Germany), and professor for Internet Technologies and Systems.
1974-79 Christoph Meinel studied Mathematics and Computer Sciences at the Humboldt-University in Berlin where he also received his PhD degree in 1981. 1988 he defended his second doctorate (Dr. sc. nat. "Habilitation") at the Institute of Mathematics of the Academy of Sciences in Berlin.
After German reunification, he held visiting positions at the universities of Saarbrücken and Paderborn. In 1992 he was appointed full professor (C4) for computer science at the University of Trier (Germany). In that time his research activities were concentrated on computational complexity theory and efficient data structures (esp. binary decision diagrams - BDDs) for chip design.
In the mid-nineties he extended his research focus to Internet and Web technologies, conducting applied research and development in IT security and teleteaching. At that time he founded the Institut für Telematik e.V., which was supervised by the Fraunhofer Society for applied research. There he invented technologies such as the high security solution Lock-Keeper and Tele-TASK for recording and Internet-broadcasting lectures and presentations.
Between 1996 and 2007 Meinel was a member of the scientific board of the IBFI Schloß Dagstuhl and speaker of the special interest group on complexity of the German computer science society Gesellschaft für Informatik.
In 2004, he was appointed scientific director and CEO of the Hasso Plattner Institute and full professor for Internet Technologies and Systems at the University of Potsdam (Germany). He is also a teacher at the HPI School of Design Thinking and program director of the HPI-Stanford Design Thinking Research Program.
He is a member of acatech, the national German academy of science and engineering. Christoph Meinel is chairman of the German IPv6 council, and program director of the HPI-Stanford Design Thinking Research Program. He is the head of the steering committee of the HPI Future SOC Lab, and member of various advisory boards like the security advisory board of SAP. In 2006, he and Hasso Plattner hosted the first German “National IT-Summit” of the German Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel. In 2019 Christoph Meinel was admitted to the "New Internet IPv6 Hall of Fame". This was in recognition of his decade-long commitment to the development and dissemination of the new IPv6 Internet protocol standard.
His research interests and activities are concentrated on Internet Technology and Systems and on innovation research. According to his web page, he is particularly focused on:
- Security engineering (Internet security, real time attack recognition, cloud security, ID management, and security awareness),
- Knowledge engineering and teaching technology (MOOCs and openHPI, e-learning and tele-TASK), Web 3.0, Secure digital health, and
- Innovation research in the field of Design Thinking.
Besides his teaching activities in Potsdam, he is an honorary professor at the Technical University of Beijing and the University of Dalian (both China), a visiting professor at the Shanghai University (China), and was a senior research fellow at the University of Luxembourg. Christoph Meinel chairs or is a member of various international scientific boards and program committees, and has organized several internal symposia and conferences.
Publishing and Editorial Work
Christoph Meinel is author, co-author, or editor of 15 text books. Among these are "Blogoshere and its Exploration", "Internetworking", "Digitale Kommunikation", "WWW – Kommunikation, Internetworking, Web-Technologien", "Design Thinking – Innovation lernen, Ideenwelten öffnen", "Mathematische Grundlagen der Informatik", "Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen im VLSI-Design. OBDDs – Grundlagen und Anwendungen", and of various conference proceedings.
Christoph Meinel has published more than 550 per-reviewed scientific papers in international scientific journals and conferences. He holds various international patents (e.g. Lock-Keeper, tele-TASK, and Tele-Board), and is editor-in-chief of the two scientific E-journals Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity (ECCC) and Electronic Colloquium on Design Thinking Research (ECDTR), of the IT-Gipfelblog, and of the tele-TASK portal with several thousands of multimedia lecture recordings by tele-TASK.
MOOCs and Teleteaching
Many lectures and lecture series' of Christoph Meinel are recorded and freely accessible on the Internet via the tele-TASK portal.
In 2012 his team designed the first European MOOC platform openHPI which provides many free online courses in the field of IT-technologies. Meanwhile, openHPI counts more than 500.000 enrollments (August 2018) and more than 175.000 unique users. He also offers various massive open online courses, for example on Blockchains, Internet Security for Beginners, Internet and Web Technologies with about 10.000 enrolled learners each.
As a chairman of various Cloud-Learning initiatives Christoph Meinel leads innovations in the field of the digital transformation of the German education sector. With projects such as "Bildungscloud" and "Schul-Cloud" Cloud-based Learning environments are created to promote the use of digital media in schools and other educational instances.
- "HPI-Direktor in die Hall of Fame des IPv6-Forums für Neues Internet berufen". presseportal.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- Meinel, Broß, Berger, Hennig: Blogoshere and its Exploration[permanent dead link]
- Meinel, Sack: Internetworking
- "Meinel, Sack: Digitale Kommunikation". Archived from the original on 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Meinel, Sack: WWW - Kommunikation, Internetworking, Web-Technologie". Archived from the original on 2014-04-08. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Plattner, Meinel, Weinberg: Design Thinking - Innovation lernen, Ideenwelten öffnen". Archived from the original on 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Meinel, Mundhenk: Mathematische Grundlagen der Informatik". Archived from the original on 2014-06-07. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Meinel, Theobald: Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen im VLSI-Design - OBBDs". Archived from the original on 2010-03-12. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Multimedia Lecture tele-TASK Portal
- "Blockchain - Innovation or Hype"
- "Internet Security for Beginners"
- "Internet Technologies"
- "Web Technologies"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-07. Retrieved 2016-11-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)