Chung Kok Ming
Chung Kok Ming (Chinese: 鄭國明), also known as Chung Ah Ming, was a Malaysian Chinese Perak State councillor and the only Asian committee member of the Perak Turf Club for many years. He represented Perak State in soccer, hockey, cricket and tennis.
He was a member of the Perak State Council for many years, having first been appointed to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of his uncle, Chung Thye Phin. He was also a member of the Federal Council of the Federated Malay States.
He was the grandson of Chung Keng Quee and the son of Chung Thye Yong who was also known as Chung Ah Yong. His father had been famous for rugby and horse racing. Chung Kok Ming was one of the finest tennis players in the country. His regular doubles partner was Dr. K.T. Khong, another person of Penang origin who, while a student at Cambridge, rowed for his College. Horse racing was something he shared in common with his father. In 1926, the Perak Turf Club officially came into existence. The first Chairman of the Perak Turf Club was J C Osborne, Vice-Chairman was C.B. Redway and other members of the Committee were Chung Ah Ming, P.G. Short, K.R. Coullie, P.J. Roy Waugh and J. Whyte. Chung Ah Ming was the only Asian member of the Committee for many years. First Secretary of the Club was T.I. Brocklebank and the Club boasted a membership of 450.
- Malay Mail 26 July 1927.
- Journal of the Malayan Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society By Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland Malayan Branch Published by The Branch, 1923 Item notes: v.56-58 1983-1985; p. 24
- The Dominions Office and Colonial Office List for ... By Great Britain Office of Commonwealth Relations Published by Waterlow and Sons, Ltd., 1928; p. 380
- British Malaya By Association of British Malaya, Association of British Malaya Published by Newton & company, 1933 Item notes: v.8 1933-1934; p. 86
- The Dominions Office and Colonial Office List ...: Comprising Historical and Statistical Information Respecting the Oversea Dominions and Colonial Dependencies of Great Britain... Published by Waterlow and Sons limited, 1936 Item notes: 1936; p. 380
- Maklumat Bahan: PHOTO OF THE PERAK STATE COUNCIL, FEB. 1932. LEFT TO RIGHT. (FRONT): COL. RAE; RAJA DI HILIR; RAJA BENDAHARAN; B.W. ELLES (RESIDENT); H.H. SULTAN ALANG ISKANDAR; RAJA MUDA ABDUL AZIZ; W. GIBSON (THE LEGAL ADVISER) AND LEONG SIN NAM. (BACK) 1ST ROW: J.V. COWGILL (D.O. KINTA); DATO SETIA; CHUNG AH MING; DR. HART (S.M.O.) AND C.L. PARKER (S.E.). 2ND ROW: N.R. JARRET (S.R.); DATO' LAKSAMANA; L. THIVY; DR. KHONG; TENGKU MENTERI AND S. KAMPE [?] (D.O. KUALA KANGSAR). 3RD ROW: H.J. TURNER (A.S.R.); SHEIKH ABDURRAHMAN; ...(UNKNOWN) AND DATO' PANGLIMA KINTA. DONOR: MUBIN SHEPPARD, TAN SRI DATUK HAJI. National Archives of Malaysia. (No. rujukan: 2001/0044154; Jenis bahan: Gambar Foto; Negeri: IBU PEJABAT)
- FEDERAL COUNCIL, FEDERATED MALAY STATES; NOVEMBER 1935; National Archives of Malaysia; (No. rujukan: 2001/0031538; Jenis bahan: Gambar Foto; Negeri: IBU PEJABAT)
- TANJONG, HILIR PERAK, LARUT AND KINTA: THE PENANG-PERAK NEXUS IN HISTORY* by Prof. Emeritus Dato’ Dr. Khoo Kay Kim Department of History, University of Malaya presented at The Penang Story – International Conference 2002 18–21 April 2002, The City Bayview Hotel, Penang, Malaysia organised by The Penang Heritage Trust & STAR Publications
- Perak Turf Club by Asian Racing Federation