||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Clarion is a six-week workshop for aspiring science fiction and fantasy writers. Originally an outgrowth of Damon Knight and Kate Wilhelm's Milford Writers' Conference, held at their home in Milford, Pennsylvania, United States, it was founded in 1968 by Robin Scott Wilson at Clarion State College in Pennsylvania. Knight and Wilhelm were among the first teachers at the workshop. In 1972 the workshop moved to Michigan State University. In 1971 the Clarion West Writers Workshop was founded by Vonda N. McIntyre..
Other Clarion Workshops
Independently-operated workshops which share the Clarion name and follow its founding principles include:
- Clarion West Writers Workshop, founded in Seattle, Washington in 1971. It has been held annually since 1984.
- Clarion South Writers Workshop was held at Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia. It was founded in 2004 and ran biennially. In 2009, Clarion South lost its venue, although the workshop was held that year. In March 2011, Clarion South organizers announced that future workshops were "on hold indefinitely."
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop Instructors
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop Alumni
- Clarion West Writers Workshop
- Wright, Anders (May 2008). "Project Triton: New Sci-Fi Colony". UCSD Alumni. UCSanDiego. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- Wilhelm, Kate, Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Small Beer Press, 2005 ISBN 978-1-931520-16-4
- Barry Jagoda, "Top Science Fiction Writers' Program Comes to UC San Diego", This Week at UCSD, December 18, 2006 
- "Workshop Update". Clarion South. March 2011. Archived from the original on March 28, 2013.
- Wilhelm, Kate (2005). Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop. Small Beer Press. ISBN 1-931520-16-X.
- Knight, Damon (March 1990). "I Remember Clarion". Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. 14 (3): 20–28.
- Clarion official website
- Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop: Archive of Stories by Participants MSS 681. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library.