Clarion is an American six-week workshop for aspiring science fiction and fantasy writers. Originally an outgrowth of Damon Knight's and Kate Wilhelm's Milford Writers' Conference, held at their home in Milford, Pennsylvania, United States, it was founded in 1968 by Robin Scott Wilson at Clarion State College in Pennsylvania. Knight and Wilhelm were among the first teachers at the workshop.
In 1972, the workshop moved to Michigan State University. It moved again, in 2006, to the University of California, San Diego.
In 2015, the Clarion Foundation received an anonymous gift of $100,000 to create an endowment funding the workshop.
The Clarion workshops for 2020 and 2021 were cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the students selected for 2020 slated to attend in 2022.
Other Clarion Workshops
Independently operated workshops which share the Clarion name and follow its founding principles include:
- Clarion West Writers Workshop, founded in Seattle, Washington in 1971 by Vonda N. McIntyre. It has been held annually since 1984.
- Clarion South Writers Workshop was held at Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia. It was founded in 2004 and ran biennially to 2011. In 2009, Clarion South lost its venue, although the workshop was held that year. In March 2011, Clarion South organizers announced that future workshops were "on hold indefinitely".
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop Instructors
- List of Clarion Writers Workshop alumni
- List of Clarion South Writers Workshop Instructors
- ^ Wright, Anders (May 2008). "Project Triton: New Sci-Fi Colony". UCSD Alumni. UCSanDiego. Archived from the original on 2 October 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ^ Wilhelm, Kate, Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, Small Beer Press, 2005 ISBN 978-1-931520-16-4
- ^ Barry Jagoda, "Top Science Fiction Writers' Program Comes to UC San Diego", This Week at UCSD, December 18, 2006
- ^ "Exciting News for The Clarion Foundation!". Tor.com. September 2015.
- ^ Glyer, Mike (May 2021). "Clarion Workshop Postponed to 2022". File770.com.
- ^ "Workshop Update". Clarion South. March 2011. Archived from the original on March 28, 2013.
- Knight, Damon (March 1990). "I Remember Clarion". Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. 14 (3): 20–28.
- Clarion official website
- Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Workshop: Archive of Stories by Participants MSS 681. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego Library.