Classical Mechanics (Goldstein book)
Classical Mechanics is a textbook about the subject of that name written by Herbert Goldstein. Intended for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students, it has been one of the standard references in its subject around the world since its first publication in 1951.
Before the death of its primary author in 2005, a new (third) edition of the book was released, with the collaboration of Charles P. Poole and John L. Safko. In the third edition, the book discusses at length various mathematically sophisticated reformations of Newtonian mechanics, namely analytical mechanics, as applied to particles, rigid bodies and continua. In addition, it covers in some detail classical electromagnetism, special relativity, classical and relativistic field theory, chaos theory and fractal geometry. A brief discussion on general relativity is also included. There is an appendix on group theory.
Table of Contents (3rd Edition)
- Chapter 1: Survey of Elementary Principles
- Chapter 2: Variational Principles and Lagrange's Equations
- Chapter 3: The Central Force Problem
- Chapter 4: The Kinematics of Rigid Body Motion
- Chapter 5: The Rigid Body Equations of Motion
- Chapter 6: Oscillations
- Chapter 7: The Classical Mechanics of the Special Theory of Relativity
- Chapter 8: The Hamilton Equations of Motion
- Chapter 9: Canonical Transformations
- Chapter 10: Hamilton–Jacobi Theory and Action-Angle Coordinates
- Chapter 11: Classical Chaos
- Chapter 12: Canonical Perturbation Theory
- Chapter 13: Introduction to the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formulations for Continuous Systems and Fields
- Appendix A: Euler Angles in Alternate Conventions and Cayley–Klein Parameters
- Appendix B: Groups and Algebras
- Appendix C: Solutions to Select Exercises
- Select Bibliography
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- Classical Mechanics (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley. 1951. p. 399. ASIN B000OL8LOM.
- Classical Mechanics (2nd ed.). Addison-Wesley. 1980. p. 672. ISBN 9780201029185.
- Goldstein, H.; Poole, C. P.; Safko, J. L. (2001). Classical Mechanics (3rd ed.). Addison-Wesley. p. 680. ISBN 9780201657029.
- Newtonian mechanics
- Classical Mechanics (Kibble and Berkshire)
- Course of Theoretical Physics (Landau and Lifshitz)
- Goldstein, Herbert; Twersky, Vic (September 1952). "Classical Mechanics". Physics Today. Bibcode:1952PhT.....5i..19G. doi:10.1063/1.3067728.
- Tiersten, Martin (2003-01-10). "Errors in Goldstein's Classical Mechanics". American Journal of Physics. 71 (2): 103–103. Bibcode:2003AmJPh..71..103T. doi:10.1119/1.1533731. ISSN 0002-9505.
- Goldstein, Herbert; Poole, Charles; Safko, John (2002-06-13). "Classical Mechanics, 3rd ed". American Journal of Physics. 70 (7): 782–783. Bibcode:2002AmJPh..70..782G. doi:10.1119/1.1484149. ISSN 0002-9505.