Born in Venice, he now lives in Milan, Italy. After a long apprenticeship and many sessions with various prominent musicians, he achieved popularity in the '70s playing with Perigeo Quintet, among whose other artists were Giovanni Tommaso and Franco D'Andrea. This group performed throughout Europe and also overseas, and with it Fasoli gained considerable experience both as soloist and composer.
Trios and quartets
When Perigeo disbanded in 1978, he became leader of his own groups, putting together mostly trios or quartets, with Aldo Romano, Bill Elgart, Bobo Stenson, Henri Texier, Jean-François Jenny Clark, Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz, Manfred Schoof, Mick Goodrick, Palle Danielsson, and Tony Oxley.
He introduced his own compositions in concerts and festivals around the world. In addition to his native Italy, he has performed in France, Switzerland, Jugoslavia, Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Finland, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, England, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, and the United States.
He played in the first performances of the Grande Orchestra Nazionale in Italy and in the Lydian Sound Orchestra. He has also participated with and conducted the European Music Orchestra in live and studio performances and has played with the Manfred Schoof International Band. He contributed also to the Giorgio Gaslini Quintet and other bands.
Fasoli adapts well to various musical settings but has developed his own solo style and a recognizable, always-developing, sound and compositional approach. Acclaimed even abroad, he continues to work with the best Italian and foreign musicians.
Since the Siena International Jazz Clinics was founded in 1978, Fasoli has been responsible for the classes in tenor and soprano saxophones and the master classes in improvisation. He founded the saxophone courses at Milan's Civic School of Jazz and has taught jazz at National Conservatories. He conducts clinics throughout Italy and abroad. He has been Artistic Director of Padua Jazz Festival (2003–2010). His name appears in music and jazz dictionaries in Italy and abroad.
- 1978 Eskimo Fakiro Trio & Quartet with F. D'andrea, B. Biriaco And G. Azzolini (Curci)
- 1978 Jazz Duo with Franco D'andrea Critics Award (Dire)
- 1980 Hinterland with E. Pieranunzi, R. Gatto, B. Tommaso (Edipan)
- 1981 The Meeting with P. La Barbera (Dire)
- 1982 Cloudy Live with L. Bonafede (FonitCetra)
- 1983 Lido with K. Drew, B. Altschul, Nhopedersen (Soul Note)
- 1984 Input with A. Faraò (Bull)
- 1987 Welcome with K. Wheeler, D. Humair, Jf Jennyclark (Soul Note)
- 1987 For Once with H. Kramer, M. Vaggi, P. Leveratto, G. Cazzola (Splasc(H))
- 1988 Egotrip (Splasc(H))
- 1990 Bodies with M. Goodrick, P. Danielsson, T. Oxley (Nueva)
- 1990 Land with K. Wheeler, Jf Jenny Clark (Nueva)
- 1993 Cities with M. Goodrick, P. Dallaporta, B. Elgart (Ram)
- 1994 Guest Fasoli Conducts the European Music Orch. Guests K. Wheeler & A. Romano (Soul Note)
- 199394 Trois Trios with H. Texier, A. Romano, J. Clayton, M. Goodrick (Splasc(H))
- 1994 Mirror with S. Battaglia, J. Clayton (Ram)
- 1995 Ten Tributes with K. Wheeler, M. Goodrick, B. Elgart, H. Texier (Ram)
- 1996 Icon with E. Rava, F. D'andrea (Flex)
- 1998 Esteem Experience with M. Gassmann, P. Dallaporta, G. Bertoncini (Flex)
- 2000 Résumé with P. Birro, Experience with M. Gassmann, P. Dalla Porta, G. Bertoncini, Nonet with R. Bonati, M. Negri, A. Tacchini, R. Migliardi, M. Castagna, G. Distefano, Arr. &Cond. R. Brazzale (Musica Jazz, July 2000) (Rusconi)
- 2002 Gammatrio with Rudy Migliardi & Paolo Birro (Map)
- 2003 Stilla with Rudy Migliardi & Paolo Birro (Soul Note)
- 2003 Mazurka Lydian Sound Orch. Cond. R. Brazzale & Claudio Fasoli (Abeat)
- 2005 Episod with Rudy Migliardi & Paolo Birro (Velut Luna)
- 2006 Adagio with Paolo Birro & Marco Micheli (Alma)
- 2007 Infant Eyes Lee Konitz Meets Claudio Fasoli with P. Birro, A. Tavolazzi, S. Bagnoli (The Music Of Wayne Shorter) (Philology)
- 2007 Promenade with M. Zara, Y. Goloubev, M. Zanoli (Comar 23)
- 2009 Venice Inside with M. Zara, Y. Goloubev, M. Zanoli (Blueserge)
- 2010 Reflections with M. Zara, Y. Goloubev, M. Zanoli (Blueserge)
- 2011 Avenir M. Calgaro, L. Calgaro, G. Bertoncini) (Caligola)
- 2012 Duology Claudio Fasoli & Luca Garlaschelli Duo (Radiosnj)
- 2012 Patchwork (Caligola)
- 2014 London Tube (Abeat)
- 2015 The Brooklyn Option (Musica Jazz)
- 1971 Live Suite G. Manusardi Quartet (MPS/BASF)
- 1973 Azimut Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1974 Abbiamo Tutti... Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1975 La Valle Dei Templi Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1976 Genealogia Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1977 Non È Poi Così... Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1977 Perigeo Special Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1973–76 Attraverso Il Perigeo Perigeo Quintet (RCA)
- 1990 Multipli G. Gaslini Quintet (Soul Note)
- 1991 Masks G. Gaslini Quintet (Soul Note)
- 1992 From South to North G. Emmanuele Orchestra:Guests P. Fresu, E. Rava, C. Fasoli, P. Tonolo (Avarts)
- 1993 Melodious Thunk Lydian Sound Orchestra, Conductor R. Brazzale (Totem)
- 1993 Live in Montreux Perigeo Quintet (BMG)
- 2000 Live Grande Orch.naz. Cond. G.gaslini (Soul Note)
- 2000 L' Essenza F. Faraò / C. Fasoli W.L. Bonafede, R. Cecchetto, A. Tacchini (Splasc(H))
- Jazz in Italia Vol. 2 Fabbri Ed.
- Jazz Jamboree 1978 (Warsaw, Poland) Polskie Nagrania
- Top Jazz From Italy (Germany 1990) YVP
- Italian Jazz Graffiti (Italia 2001) Soul Note
- Wines Docg & Jazz (Italia 2003) dedicated to Italian wines (Enoteca Italiana – Siena Jazz)
- "Fasoli, Claudio (born 1938), tenor, soprano saxophonist, composer, leader". Grove Music Online. Retrieved 2014-12-24.