This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Shimon Elkabetz (CEO)|
Number of employees
|100 (March 2019)|
Using re-purposed wireless communication networks as weather sensors, ClimaCell delivers real-time forecasts to critical industries such as municipalities, sports, and transportation.The company launched publicly with its HyperCast dashboard in April 2017. It has raised over $70M in VC funding.  SoftBank invested $7 million in April 2019.
Traditional weather forecasts rely on public data from the government entities. ClimaCell pioneered techniques using existing wireless communication infrastructure and IoT devices to collect real-time weather data. Their observations report conditions closer to the ground than satellite and higher resolution than Doppler weather radar techniques.
The aggregated data from ClimaCell’s 564M sensors is processed through their proprietary Nowcasting software. It includes measurements on temperature, wind profiler, precipitation data. After two years of development with their in-house engineering and meteorological team, ClimaCell’s Hypercast was publicly launched in April 2017. Their processed data and minutely forecasts are available to app developers via their micro-weather API. 
ClimaCell was the first company to bring a new source of weather data to market in decades. Since the infrastructure was existing wireless communication networks, Inc. Magazine commented that “Unencumbered by manufacturing and hardware deployment… ClimaCell could launch their product almost immediately.” The company’s software solutions provide information and insights to aviation, drone flight, construction sites, insurance, sports and outdoor events, and utility services. Notable clients include JetBlue Airways, Delta, New England Patriots.
ClimaCell began a roll-out in India as it launched in the United States. The company uses wireless networks to source weather data and predict weather. With no capital investment, ClimaCell’s data analysis and imaging service give consumers access to forecast updates and localized weather maps. The solution may enable farmers, business, and governments to make informed decisions.
- de Wolff, Daniel (February 1, 2019). "ClimaCell: Doing weather differently—from observation to forecasting with virtual sensors". MIT Industrial Liaison Program. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Stoler, Tofi (January 14, 2019). "Weather Forecasting Startup ClimaCell to Set International Operations Center in Tel Aviv". CTech by Calcalist. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Winn, Zach (December 14, 2018). "Weather Monitoring from the Ground Up". MIT News. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Martin, Dylan (April 7, 2017). "How Near-Death Experiences in the Israeli Air Force Inspired This New Startup". American Inno. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Primack, Dan (October 4, 2018). "ClimaCell raises $45 million for short-term weather forecasting data". Axios. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Martin, Dylan (April 7, 2017). "How Near-Death Experiences in the Israeli Air Force Inspired This New Startup". Americaninno. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Rosen, Andy (November 27, 2019). "Startup promises a weather report just for your block". Boston Globe. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Georgina, Flatter (March 11, 2019). "How Entrepreneurs Can Help Developing Countries Hard Hit by Climate Change". Entrepreneur. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Kontzer, Tony (October 17, 2017). "Extreme Weather: GPUs Help Startup Provide Hyperlocal, High-Resolution 'Nowcasting'". NVIDIA. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "ClimaCell Weather Data Comes from Cellular Networks". nanalyze. October 8, 2018. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Zazulia, Nick (July 19, 2018). "JetBlue Tracks Microweather with New ClimaCell Software". Aviation Today. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Cáceres, Marcelo (January 23, 2019). "Fix This: How Two Boston-Based Startups Are Forecasting Flight Delays". Apex Aero. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Winn, Zach (December 14, 2018). "Weather Monitoring from the Ground Up". MIT News. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Tredgold, Gordon (5 May 2017). "Why Faster, Better, Cheaper is no Longer Good Enough". Inc. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Reed, Ted (Jul 18, 2018). "JetBlue Invests In New Weather Forecasting Technology That Cuts De-Icing Costs". Forbes. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Shieber, Jonathan (November 11, 2017). "Weather tracking tech developer ClimaCell raises $15 million". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Coker, Ashley (October 8, 2018). "Weather technology company ClimaCell closes $45 million Series B on mission to expand globally". Freight Waves. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Engel, Jeff (October 4, 2018). "ClimaCell Grabs $45M for Weather Data for Airlines, Driverless Cars". Xconomy. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
Ford sees “high-definition, micro-weather information” as one of the keys to driverless vehicle route planning, among other activities.
- "Counting raindrops using mobile-phone towers". Economist. September 30, 2017. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "Legatum Center of MIT". MIT's Legatum Center.