This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Coil zipper—also known as nylon coil zipper—is a type of zipper whose teeth/elements are made from coiled monofilament that is traditionally nylon. The coil is sewn to a zipper tape to make the final product. The final zipper product is completed when the nylon coiled teeth are sewn onto the zipper tape. Nylon coil zippers have a continuous coil chain made from nylon. When this coil is positioned on the back of the zipper and not in the front, this kind of zipper is called invisible zipper.
Stronger horizontal strength is effortlessly achieved with the fabrication of coil zipper. These zippers also have easy repair; zipping and unzipping past the point of misaligned tooth easily repairs the nylon monofilament and the tooth efficiently fixes itself. Another advantage of nylon zippers is its two-way functionality. The sliders can be fixed in either direction of the zipper chain and they will still function smoothly. Coil zippers are the most common type of zippers and are lightweight, heat resistant, and rustproof. Therefore, they last long and work exceptionally well in whatever product they are used.
Coil zippers are zippers whose teeth/elements are made from coiled monofilament that was traditionally nylon. The coil is sewn to a zipper tape to make the final product. The final zipper product is completed when the nylon coiled teeth are sewn onto the zipper tape. Nylon coil zippers have a continuous coil chain made from nylon. When this coil is positioned on the back of the zipper and not in the front, this kind of zipper is called invisible zipper.
Nylon zippers are highly flexible and are available in a wide range of sizes. The high compatibility[clarification needed] of the coil zippers is the main attribute for their huge number of applications in fashion wear, canvas goods, and bags. These types of zippers are also the top choice for the outdoor and luggage industries. Nylon coil zippers are most commonly found in tents, suitcases, backpacks, and other camping apparels.
Though nylon coil zippers are a very popular choice for a large number of applications, the use of nylon is now being replaced with polyester. Polyester coil zippers are also becoming widespread nowadays. But nylon coil zippers still remain one of the most manufactured zippers all across the globe. They are made in various gauge sizes and colors. This makes them well-suited to several items that are used daily. There are other variations of these coil zippers too which are also used extensively according to their requirements.
Stronger horizontal strength is effortlessly achieved with the fabrication of coil zipper. These zippers are also great because of their ease of repair. Even a tooth that gets out of the alignment can be fixed flawlessly. Zipping and unzipping past the point of misaligned tooth easily repairs the nylon monofilament and the tooth efficiently fixes itself. Another advantage of nylon zippers is its two-way functionality. The sliders can be fixed in either direction of the zipper chain and they will still function smoothly.
Coil zippers are the commonest type of zippers that are lightweight, heat resistant and rustproof. Therefore, they last long and work exceptionally well in whatever product they are used.
Apart from high compatibility and strong construction, there are other numerous benefits of nylon coil zippers too. This is the reason why nylon zippers are preferably considered for various applications.
- Wide Gauge Range
- The nylon coil zippers come in wide range of gauges and widths of the teeth. The teeth keep enlarging with the higher number of the gauge. From #2 to #25, nylon coil zippers have the widest range of the gauge. So, they can be vigilantly picked for either prom dress or for a heavy duffle bag.
- Bidirectional Use of Sliders
- This is the biggest advantage of coil zippers. The slider can be incorporated on either direction and it will work properly. However, one of the directions is better than the other; they work quite well for both of them.
- Self-Heal Property
- While other zippers may become useless once they are impaired, nylon zippers have the tendency to self-repair. Even when some of the teeth misaligns and gets out of the regular positioning, moving the slider past that point will automatically reposition it to its original place.
- Increased Durability
- Nylon is a top-quality material and thus it ensures increased durability of the zipper. Nylon zippers are very good for almost all the outdoor apparels but they must not be used with things associated with security.
- The nylon itself is extremely light in weight and therefore the entire assembly of nylon coil zippers remains lightweight. This property allows them to be used in number of products like clothing for added comfort.
- Fire Resistant
- Nylon is an impressive material that effectively resists fire. Thus, nylon coil zippers are fire resistant and hard wearing. But these zippers can melt, shrink and react with moisture easily.
The main elements required in the manufacturing process of coil zipper are a stringer, slider, and a tab. The stringer consists of a tape and teeth assembly and is an essential constituent of this zipper. The tab is used to pull the slider up and down which eventually opens and closes the zipper.
- Sports/Outdoor Apparel
- Sports and outdoor apparel need a sturdy zipper that can withstand even the harshest of use. The coil zippers are very strong and therefore they are popularly picked as the first choice for these kinds of outdoor apparel.
- Lady’s Dresses/Skirts
- The zippers required for lady’s dresses and skirts should be very fashionable. The zippers must also have vibrant colors to match the different colors of lady’s garments. Coil zippers are easily designed in various colors and thus they are extensively used in such garments.
- Shoes and boots that use zippers in their design need a zipper which is smooth in its operation and has high strength. Coil zippers use high-quality nylon that provides enough strength to these zippers that they function impressively even in high-end boots and shoes.
- Outdoor Gear
- Outdoor gears include everything from a tent to a backpack. The zipper for such demanding things should be very robust for a longer length. And nylon coil zippers have high strength all across their length. They can be used in all the items which need long zippers.
- Men’s Pants/Other Uniforms
- Coil zipper is the most common type of zipper that is incorporated in men’s garments and other uniforms designed for professional use.
- "Manufacturers of Zippers". Toni Zippers.