Cold As Life
|Cold As Life|
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Associated acts||The Apathetic Degenerates
The Mattress Rats
Agents of Man
The Suicide Machines
|Past members||Jeff Gunnells
Rodney "Rawn Beauty" Barger (RIP)
Jake Loch (RIP)
Johnny Hate (RIP)
The Big Dog
Emery "E-War" Keathley (RIP)
Cold As Life was a hardcore punk band based out of Detroit, Michigan, existing from 1988 to 2001. Lyrical themes consisted of brutal depictions of the horrors of growing up and living in a city plagued with corruption, murder, drugs, depression and poverty, along with the tragedy of losing friends, family and band-mates to murder and drug abuse. Their shows were frequently violent, involving vicious fights that often included stabbings and beatings with various weapons. Stories of these shows would spread throughout the Midwest punk and hardcore communities, contributing to the band's notoriety. Cold As Life drew musical influence from such bands as Negative Approach, Sheer Terror, Discharge, 4 Skins, Cro-mags, Black Sabbath and Slayer.
In early 2007 a reunion tour was organized by former members but featured Enzo (of fellow Detroit band Dogz of War) on vocals instead of co-founder and longest standing member Jeff Gunnells.
- 1998: Born to Land Hard (CTYC Productions, +/- Records)
- 2000: Declination of Independence (CTYC Productions)
- 2001: Split with Ringworm (Stillborn Records)
- 2004: 1988-1993 (CTYC Productions)
- 1996: Detroit Is Distraught Compilation 1996 - "How Much Longer"
- 1997: Feisty Cadavers and the Brotherhood (Idol Records) - "Live Like Vampires"
- 1999: Only the Strong Survive: 1999 (Victory Records) - "My Own Worst Enemy"
- 1999: The Spirit Lives On: A Tribute to Raybeez and Warzone (Hate Core Records) - "Fight the Opressor"
- 2007: United States of Hardcore (Hate Core Records) - "Pete's Sake (S.O.I.A.)"