Colin Sharman, Baron Sharman
He was educated at Bishop Wordsworth's School in Salisbury and qualified as a chartered accountant in 1965. He joined Peat Marwick Mitchell the following year, and rose through the years to become chairman of the renamed KPMG in 1997.
On 2 August 1999 he was created a Life Peer as Baron Sharman, of Redlynch in the County of Wiltshire and entered the House of Lords as a Liberal Democrat peer. He retired from the House of Lords on 30 April 2015.
Lord Sharman was a member of the ABN AMRO Supervisory Board from 2003 until 2007. He was chairman of Aviva Group from January 2006 to June 2012, was a non-executive director at Reed Elsevier until April 2011, and on the board of BG Group and Group 4 Securicor. Other previous board appointments include chairman of Aegis Group plc; deputy chairman of G4S plc; Young & Co's Brewery plc and AEA Technology plc. The Times 'Power 100' states that Lord Sharman earns over £400,000 a year from his management roles.
Since November 2012, he has been the Prime Ministerial Trade Envoy to Morocco. He attended the 2014 Moroccan British Business Conference, held in London, alongside Lord Mayor of London Fiona Woolf.
- "No. 48212". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 1980. p. 18.
- "No. 55574". The London Gazette. 6 August 1999. p. 8518.
- "Retired members of the House of Lords". UK Parliament. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Lord Sharman retires from the board" (Press release). Aviva PLC. 2 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Retirement of Lord Sharman and appointment of Adrian Hennah" (Press release). RELX Group. 17 February 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- http://finance.latimes.com/what-is-the-history-of-colin-sharman-of-redlynch-and-the-latest-information-about-colin-sharman-of-redlynch/enl/executive/colin-sharman-of-redlynch/colin-sharman-of-redlynch.htm[dead link]
- "New Trade Envoys and Business Investment to Boost Trade Links". The National Archives. 12 November 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Kilkelly, Colin. "Moroccan British Business Conference in London on October 22". Morocco World News. Retrieved 2014-10-31.
- Lord Sharman profile on the Liberal Democrats website
- Lord Sharman in the The Times Power 100 list
- Announcement of his introduction at the House of Lords House of Lords minutes of proceedings, 27 October 1999