Nagarjun Sagar Racer, (also known as Sharma's Racer) Coluber bholanathi, is a species of colubrid snake, found in peninsular India, in the Eastern Ghats and the Deccan plateau. It is a diurnal, fast-moving, active snake, living among rock boulders. It feeds on lizards, small mammals, and birds. It is a rather recently described species, that was first discovered in 1976, in the Nagarjuna Sagar Dam by scientists of the Zoological Survey of India.
A slender snake; rich brown above with white, black-edged rounded or ovoid spots on the back; underside white; dorsal scales in 19:19:12-15 rows around body, ventrals 202–212; subcaudals 109–121.
This species is known from Nagarjuna Sagar Dam in Telangana, Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, Bellary in Karnataka and Gingee and Hosur in Tamil Nadu, essentially covering all of the rocky hillocks and outcrops in south India.
- Guptha, Bubesh; Nimmakayala Venkata Sivaram Prasad, Deepak Veerappan. 2012. Rediscovery and range extension of Coluber bholanathi Sharma, 1976 from Seshachalam hills, Andhra Pradesh, India. Herpetology Notes 6: 447-448.
- Ganesh S. R., Adimallaiah D., Kailash P. K. (2013) New locality records of Nagarjun Sagar Racer Snake, Coluber bholanathi Sharma, 1976. Herpetotropicos. 9 (1-2): 09-12.
- Seetharamaraju, M. & C. Srinivasulu 2013. Discovery and description of male specimen of Coluber bholanathi Sharma, 1976 (Reptilia: Colubridae) from Hyderabad, India. Taprobanica 5 (1): 32-35.
- Sharma, R. C. 1976. Some observations on ecology and systematics of Coluber bholanati, a new species of snake from India. Comp. Physiol. Ecol. 1 (3): 105-107.
- Sharma, R. C. 2004. Handbook Indian Snakes. AKHIL BOOKS, New Delhi, 292 pp.
- Sharma, Vivek; Jose Louies, Aditya Vattam 2013. A Contribution to Coluber bholanathi Sharma, 1976 (Serpentes: Colubridae). Russ. J. Herpetol. 20 (4): 259-263.
- Smart, Utpal; Eric N. Smith, B.H.C.K. Murthy & Arun Mohanty 2014. Report of Nagarjunasagar Racer Coluber bholanathi Sharma, 1976 (Squamata: Serpentes: Colubridae) from the Gingee Hills, Tamil Nadu, India. JoTT 6 (4): 5671-5674.
- "Nagarjun Sagar Racer Coluber bholanathi". Indian Snakes Database. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
|This Colubrids article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|