European Commissioner for Justice and Consumers
|European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality|
1 November 2014
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The post was created in 2010 by splitting the previous Justice, Freedom and Security portfolio into a justice post (the subject covered here) and a security post: the Commissioner for Home Affairs. This split was made as a concession to the liberals in the European Parliament to gain their support for the second Barroso Commission.
A major innovation of the Juncker Commission is the nomination of a First Vice-President, Frans Timmermans, for Better Regulation, Inter-Institutional Relations, Rule of Law and the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. His role includes to "guide and coordinate all other Justice and Home Affairs(JHA)-related Commissioners, in particular those of the new DG Justice (Věra Jourová) and the DG Home Affairs (Dimitris Avramopoulos)".
The portfolio of the Commissioner has evolved under the Juncker Commission and renamed into Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality. Major changes are :
- "The Commissioner for Justice no longer holds the title [of "Commissioner for EU Citizenship"] that was used in the previous Commission. [...] Other citizenship-related matters regarding ‘communication to citizens’ have been moved from DG Communication and attributed to the new Commissioner for Education, Culture, Youth and Citizenship."
- "Issues related to non-discrimination in employment [and the rights of persons with disabilities] have been removed from DG JUST and placed back under DG Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion. However, DG JUST still holds responsibility for the wider non-discrimination portfolio."
- DG JUST gained competences on issues related to Corporate Governance and Social Responsibility, previously in DG Internal Market and Services (MARKT), and on issues related to Consumer Affairs. Regarding Consumer Affairs, the whole directorate has been transferred from DG Health and Consumers (SANCO) - now DG Health and Food Safety (SANTE), except for Health Technology and Cosmetics issues, for which DG Enterprise and Industry (ENTR) gained responsibility.
- The responsibility of Anti-Drug Policy has been transferred to DG Home Affairs (HOME).
List of Commissioners
DG Justice and Consumers
|Viviane Reding||Luxembourg||2010–2014||Barroso Commission II|
|Věra Jourová||Czech Republic||2014 onwards||Juncker Commission|
DG Justice, Freedom and Security (former)
|Anita Gradin||Sweden||1995–1999||Santer Commission|
|António Vitorino||Portugal||1999–2004||Prodi Commission|
|Franco Frattini||Italy||2004–2008||Barroso Commission I|
|Jacques Barrot||France||2008–2010||Barroso Commission I|
- Directorate-General for Justice
- European Commissioner for Home Affairs
- Justice and Home Affairs Council (Council of the European Union)
- European Parliament Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
- Area of freedom, security and justice
- Charter of Fundamental Rights
- Four Freedoms
- Fundamental Rights Agency
- Court of Justice