Community of Jesus
The Community of Jesus is a Christian community located near Rock Harbor, in Orleans, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. It was founded by charismatic leaders Cay Andersen and Judy Sorensen. It is an ecumenical Benedictine monastic community. The Church of the Transfiguration is the center of the community. Worship services include Holy Eucharist, Choral Evensong, Advent Lessons and Carols, and Liturgy of the Hours (sung in Gregorian chant). The community founded and administers the Mount Tabor Ecumenical Centre For Art & Spirituality located in Barga, Italy. Paraclete Press is the publishing house of the Community of Jesus.
A Controversial Community
The Community of Jesus has had a controversial history. A 1991 book by Ron Enroth called Churches that Abuse included stories from former members who talk about emotional, spiritual and physical abuse they experienced as members of the Community of Jesus. Numerous blogs and websites have been started by former members to share stories from the group. These include http://mylifecoj.wordpress.com, www.communityofjesus.net, and communityofjesus.biz.
Church of the Transfiguration
The Church of the Transfiguration is a contemporary expression of an ancient 4th century basilica style of architecture, filled with hand-crafted mosaic and fresco images, sculpted bronze, glass, and stone artwork.
The Church of the Transfiguration organ is a restoration and expansion by Nelson Barden & Associates of pipework from seventeen organs built by the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Company in the early 20th century.
- Neff, David (20 October 2010). "The Art of Glory". Christianity Today. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- Ashleigh Bennett (7 December 2012). "Orleans church models crèche after its members". Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "The Church of the Transfiguration - Rock Harbor, Orleans, Massachusetts (official website)". Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Mark Ogilbee and Jana Riess (21 December 2006). "10 great places to receive tidings of comfort, joy". USA Today. Archived from the original on 17 July 2014.
- Richard Dyer (11 July 2005). "A work of biblical proportion, 'Pilgrim's Progress' has real spirit". Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Milton, Susan (21 November 2010). "Art becomes religious experience". Cape Cod Times (Hyannis). Archived from the original on 10 July 2013.
- Laurie Higgins (28 July 2013). "SIMPLY DELICIOUS: Tea for two at Rock Harbor". Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "E. M. Skinner Organ - The Church of the Transfiguration (official website)". Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Official website
- Church of the Transfiguration
- Mount Tabor Ecumenical Centre For Art & Spirituality
- Paraclete Press: publishing house of the Community of Jesus
- William Rawn Associates - Architect of the Church of the Transfigruation
- American Benedictine Academy article introducing the Community of Jesus