Community of Jesus
The Community of Jesus is a Christian community located near Rock Harbor, in Orleans, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. The Community was founded in 1970 by Cay Andersen and Judy Sorensen. Controversy surrounded these two women for much of the 1990s. The Church of the Transfiguration is the center of Community of Jesus – an ecumenical Benedictine monastic community located at Rock Harbor, Orleans, on the shores of Cape Cod Bay. Worship services include Holy Eucharist, Choral Evensong, Advent Lessons and Carols, and Liturgy of the Hours (sung in Gregorian chant). The Community of Jesus founded and administers the Mount Tabor Ecumenical Centre For Art & Spirituality located in Barga, Italy. Paraclete Press is the publishing house of the Community of Jesus.
Community of Jesus - A Controversial History
The history of the community of Jesus is not without its share of controversy. In 1991 the Community was discussed in a book titled Churches That Abuse by Ronald Enroth. In this book Enroth shares claims by former Community members of emotional, spiritual, and even physical abuse.
Church of the Tranfiguration
The Church of the Transfiguration is a contemporary expression of an ancient 4th century basilica style of architecture, filled with hand-crafted mosaic and fresco images, sculpted bronze, glass, and stone artwork.
The Church of the Transfiguration organ is a restoration and expansion by Nelson Barden & Associates of pipework from seventeen organs built by the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Company in the early 20th century.
- Neff, David (20 October 2010). "The Art of Glory". Christianity Today. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- http://www.communityofjesus.org/about/history/%7Caccessdate=14 February 201
- http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/mothers-of-invention/article1083799/?page=all. Retrieved 14 February 2015. Missing or empty
- Ashleigh Bennett (7 December 2012). "Orleans church models crèche after its members". Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "The Church of the Transfiguration - Rock Harbor, Orleans, Massachusetts (official website)". Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Enroth, Ronald. Churches That Abuse. Zondervan Press, 1991. http://www.ccel.us/churches.ch8.html
- Mark Ogilbee and Jana Riess (21 December 2006). "10 great places to receive tidings of comfort, joy". USA Today. Archived from the original on 17 July 2014.
- Richard Dyer (11 July 2005). "A work of biblical proportion, 'Pilgrim's Progress' has real spirit". Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- Milton, Susan (21 November 2010). "Art becomes religious experience". Cape Cod Times (Hyannis). Archived from the original on 10 July 2013.
- Laurie Higgins (28 July 2013). "SIMPLY DELICIOUS: Tea for two at Rock Harbor". Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- "E. M. Skinner Organ - The Church of the Transfiguration (official website)". Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Official website
- Church of the Transfiguration
- Mount Tabor Ecumenical Centre For Art & Spirituality
- Paraclete Press: publishing house of the Community of Jesus
- William Rawn Associates - Architect of the Church of the Transfigruation
- American Benedictine Academy article introducing the Community of Jesus