In 1999 by E. Alexander Goldstein (CEO), Dr Dennis Moreau (CTO), Louis Woodhill (Chairman) and Alan Sage (VP, Worldwide Sales) formed a company which they named Fundamental Software, Inc. Based in Woodland Park, Colorado, the company was founded to purchase the intellectual property rights to London-based company Serverware Group plc's Enterprise Configuration Manager network systems management product (with the British company taking a stake in the new start-up as part of the deal).
In January 2001 the company changed its name to Configuresoft, Inc. in order to differentiate it from a number of other software houses with the Fundamental Software name.
Prior to the EMC acquisition, Configuresoft's customer base included Citigroup, ExxonMobil, Intel Corporation and Qwest Communications, as well as several governmental agencies in the United Kingdom, including the Ministry of Defence, the Department for Children, Schools and Families and the Department for Work and Pensions.
- System Configuration Management "All-Star First Team" - Enterprise Management Associates 
- "EMC Announces Acquisition of Configuresoft, Leading Provider of Server Configuration, Change and Compliance Management Software".
- "Configuresoft, Inc. information and related industry information from Hoover's".
- Bean, Joanna (2000-02-13). "The Gazette - Fundamental Software one to watch". The Gazette.
- "Information Security - January 2001".
- "The Gazette - Configuresoft makes 20-mile move to Springs Woodland Park firm will add 30 jobs".
- "Colorado's Largest Employers". Job Bank USA.
- "Tech Rockies - Configuresoft Swizzles Executive Team".
- "EMC buying Springs software company". Colorado Springs Gazette. 2009-05-27.
- Knight, Jennifer (2004-10-15). "Celebrate Technology: Configuresoft Inc. wins Rising Star Award". Colorado Springs Business Journal.
- "Analyst Firm Ranks Configuresoft as System Configuration Management 'All-Star First.." Reuters. 2008-02-13.
- ""Best of Tech Ed 2006" Winners". Windows IT Pro. 2006-07-06.
- "Windows IT Media Names "Best Of MMS 2006" Winners". Windows IT Pro. 2006-04-28. Archived from the original on 2006-12-30.
- "IDG World Expo and LinuxWorld Magazine Name Finalists for LinuxWorld Product Excellence Awards". LinuxWorld. 2006-03-30.
- "Best of TechEd 2005 Winners Announced". Windows IT Pro. 2005-06-10.
- "Best of TechEd Europe Winners Announced". Windows IT Pro. 2005-07-15.