Ace Junior Ace
|Ace Junior Ace|
|Manufacturer||Ace Aircraft Manufacturing Company|
|Number built||202 (2011)|
approximately $1800 to build in 1971
The Ace Junior Ace is a single-seat sports aircraft that has been offered by the Ace Aircraft Manufacturing Company in kit and plans form for home building since the early 1930s. It was designed by Orland Corben.
It is a parasol wing monoplane of conventional taildragger configuration. Pilot and passenger sit side-by-side, in a cockpit that may be enclosed or left open. The fuselage is of fabric-covered tubular construction and the wings are wood. A variety of powerplants may be used, and the aircraft has a power range of 85 to 120 hp (63 to 89 kW).
Experimental Aircraft Association founder Paul Poberezny widened the fuselage of the Jr Ace, added modern wheels, brakes and increased the span to 34 ft to create the Pober Jr Ace. The company Acro Sport maintains the rights to the design, and sells plans so the aircraft can be amateur-built.
- Baby Ace
- Single seat
- Super Ace
- Single seat powered by a Ford Model A Automovie engine. Plans updated by EAA founder Paul Poberezny.
- Ace Junior Ace
- Two seat tandem variant.
- Pober Jr Ace
- Updated plans of the Jr. Ace model
Specifications (Typical Junior Ace E)
- Crew: one, pilot
- Length: 18 ft 0 in (5.49 m)
- Wingspan: 26 ft 6 in (8.08 m)
- Height: ()
- Empty weight: 645 lb (293 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1,225 lb (557 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × various engines, 65-100 hp (50-75 kW)
- Maximum speed: 112 knots (130 mph, 208 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 95 knots (109 mph, 176 km/h)
- Stall speed: 38 knots (43 mph, 70 km/h)
- Service ceiling: 10,500 ft (3,201 m)
- Rate of climb: 600 ft/min (183 m/min)
- Related development
- Vandermeullen, Richard: 2012 Kit Aircraft Buyer's Guide, Kitplanes, Volume 28, Number 12, December 2011, page 37. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Leo J. Kohn (Winter 1971). "The true cost of building your own plane". Air Trails: 63.
- "Pober (Corben) Junior Ace.". Retrieved 2 August 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ace Junior Ace.|