Cowichan Secondary School
|Cowichan Senior Secondary School|
2652 James St (Cowichan) & 2515 Beverly St (Quamichan)
|School type||Public, high school|
|School board||School District 79 Cowichan Valley|
|Principal||Nicole Miller (on leave)|
|Colour(s)||maroon, silver, black, and white|
|Last updated: September 2018|
Cowichan Secondary is a public high school in Duncan, British Columbia part of School District 79 Cowichan Valley. In 2013, the school became a dual-campus Grade 8-12 school after Quamichan Middle School on Beverley Street was merged with Cowichan Secondary on James Street. In September 2018, the Dual Campus model was dissolved and Cowichan Secondary School and Quamichan School returned to being two separate schools, leaving Cowichan Secondary as a grades 10-12 high school.
The school was under construction in 1948 near the Trans-Canada Highway.
Planning in 2014 considered relocating the school to the property purchased for the school's new build, adjacent to Vancouver Island University's Duncan campus and the Island Savings Centre recreation facility.
There is still no talk of plans to build a new school on the empty grounds owned by School District 79 and the Ministry of Education, next to Duncan's Vancouver Island University campus.
Cowichan Senior Secondary has multiple competitive sports teams. These sports include senior and junior girls field hockey, girls rugby, boys rugby, and girls and boys basketball. The most high-achieving team is the girls field hockey team who frequently win provincial championship games. Most of the Senior sports are at the 3A level, except for the volleyball program, which the school is in the process of rebuilding. For the last 4 years, there has been a Midget (Grade 8/9) team, a Junior (Grade 10) team and a Senior girls 4A team. thep
- 2013/14 Student Handbook (PDF). Cowichan Secondary School. 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- "Cowichan Secondary School under construction 1948". CVM 19184.108.40.206. Cowichan Valley Museum & Archives. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Degraaf, Ashley (4 April 2014). "Quamichan emerges as option B for new Cowichan Secondary". Cowichan News-Leader Pictorial. Archived from the original on 15 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Andersen, Ann (9 March 2012). "Review 16 years of Cowichan Secondary at play". Cowichan News Leader. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
School Reports - Ministry of Education
- Class Size[permanent dead link]
- Satisfaction Survey[permanent dead link]
- School Performance
- Skills Assessment[permanent dead link]
|This British Columbia school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|