Creme Puff (cat)
|Other name(s)||Crème Puff|
|Born||August 3, 1967|
Austin, Texas, U.S.
|Died||August 6, 2005 (aged 38)|
Austin, Texas, U.S.
|Known for||The oldest cat in the world|
Creme Puff (August 3, 1967 – August 6, 2005) was a domestic cat, owned by Jake Perry of Austin, Texas, US. She was the oldest cat ever recorded, according to the 2010 edition of Guinness World Records, when she died aged 38 years and 3 days.
Perry had another cat, Granpa Rex Allen, who he said was born in Paris, Texas, in 1964 and died aged 34 years and 2 months in 1998, the sixth oldest cat ever known; Granpa was posthumously awarded 1999 Cat of the Year by Cats & Kittens magazine, and he was featured in an earlier version of the Guinness World Records as the (then) oldest cat ever.
Creme Puff's owner, Jake Perry, said her diet consisted of dry cat food supplemented with broccoli, eggs, turkey bacon, coffee with cream, and—every two days—"an eyedropper full of red wine." Perry claimed that this diet was key to her longevity, and that the wine "circulated the arteries."
Perry also kept Creme Puff very active within the home, turning his garage into a movie theater that played nature documentaries for his cats. Wooden steps were built into the walls of Perry's home for the cats to climb on, and Perry had built a screened enclosure in his backyard for his pets, including Creme Puff, to enjoy the outdoors.
- Guinness World Records 2010. Bantam; Reprint edition. 2010. p. 320. ISBN 978-0-553-59337-2.
The oldest cat ever was Creme Puff, who was born on August 3, 1967, and lived until August 6, 2005—36 years and 3 days in total.
- Oldest cat ever, Guinness World Records Corporate, retrieved April 20, 2012
- Warren, Jessica (October 23, 2009). "Caterack Dies - World's Oldest Cat Was 30!". The National Ledger. Archived from the original on September 9, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
A report from MSNBC News notes that the oldest cat ever recorded was a 36-year-old feline named Creme Puff, according to a rep from Guinness World Records.
- "Grandpa Rexs Allen - Cats & Kittens 1999 Cat of the Year", Cats & Kittens Magazine, archived from the original on February 26, 2010, retrieved June 28, 2010
- "Oldest cat ever". Guinness World Records. guinnessworldrecords.com. Retrieved January 8, 2020.
- Couch, Christina (December 15, 2015). "How to Raise a 165-Year-Old Cat". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- Leclair, Britanie (January 23, 2018). "Owners Of World's Oldest Cats Reveal Secrets of Feline Longevity. It's Not What You'd Expect". Animal Channel. Archived from the original on December 4, 2019. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- South Paws, a documentary about Jake Perry and his cats.