|Slogan||Cruise Reviews, Cruise Deals and Cruises|
Type of site
|Travel News and Reviews, forums|
|Launched||1995 (America Online)
1998 (Official Launch)
|7,238 (April 2014[update])|
Cruise Critic is the world’s largest cruise review site and online community which also has cruise news and planning information written by cruise experts and an active community of members. Visited by over 5 million members per month, the site offers over 100,000 cruise reviews written by editors and members of the site, and information on more than 500 cruise ships and over 300 ports of call. The site offers information on specific cruising styles niches, including low-carb cruising, fitness cruises, disabled cruising and gay cruises.
Originally started in 1995 as a feature of America Online, it has now become one of the brands operated by TripAdvisor, in addition to travel sites like AirfareWatchdog, Jetsetter, Oyster.com, Tingo and Viator. The site's publisher, The Independent Traveler, Inc., also publishes the travel sites IndependentTraveler.com and Family Vacation Critic.
Cruise Critic’s parent company, The Independent Traveler, Inc., was launched on AOL in 1990 as the site’s first travel forum. The forum became so popular with cruise travelers, the company launched Cruise Critic in 1995, as the world’s first consumer cruise site.
In January 2008, Cruise Critic launched its first international site in the United Kingdom
In May 2013, Cruise Critic acquired the online cruise booking website, CruiseWise
In January 2014, Cruise Critic launched Price Drop, a cruise shopping tool that highlights and measures cruise fare discounts.
In February 2015, Cruise Critic’s second international site was launched in Australia
TripAdvisor, Inc. acquired CruiseWise – an innovative online cruise agent—in May 2013, on behalf of Cruise Critic. Through the purchase, Cruise Critic acquired key technology and talent from CruiseWise, Inc.
- "Cruisecritic.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "70 Percent Off Cruises? New Tool Says Yes". ABC News. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- ""About Us" on Cruise Critic". Cruise Critic. The Independent Traveler, Inc.
- "About Us" on Cruise Critic — Cruise Critic section.
- Hilton, Spud (2003-04-27). "Cruise Web sites finding everyone's a critic". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2008-08-18.
- "TripAdvisor Acquires Cruise Critic, Leading Cruise Community.". press release. PR Newswire. 2007-05-23.
- "Travel Site TripAdvisor to Acquire Viator for Approximately $200M". Forbes. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Kathleen Tucker, President and Founder of The Independent Traveler, Inc., Publisher of Cruise Critic, to Retire". Travel Daily News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "On the Move". U.S. 1 Newspaper. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "TripAdvisor Acquires the Publisher of Cruise Critic". Travel Weekly. Retrieved 28 May 2007.
- "TripAdvisor Flourishes Under Expedia". The New York Times. Retrieved 4 September 2008.
- "Cruise Critic Christens Dedicated Online Cruise News and Reviews Site for U.K.". PR Newswire. Press Release.
- "TripAdvisor Acquires Cruise Online-Booking Site CruiseWise". Skift. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "TripAdvisor Acquisition Pays Off with a Cruise Price Drop Tool to Navigate Deals". Skift. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Cruise Critic Debuts in Australia". Seatrade Cruise News. Retrieved 26 February 2015.