Cycling in Geelong
Cycling in Geelong, Victoria is common for recreation and competition, but less so for utility and commuting.
Geelong has a discontinuous network of off-road trails and on-road bicycle lanes.
In 1977 efforts were made to improve cycling in Geelong with Australia's first bike plan  launched by Hubert Opperman. The plan's credo was that "every street is a cycling street". The plan was also widely recognised at the time as a model for bicycle planning. As a result of the plan, a recreational cycling group called the Geelong Bicycle Riders' Association was formed in 1979 and is now known as the Geelong Touring Cyclists.
Later, the 1996 Barwon Bicycle Plan set out targets of achieving 8% of all journeys in the region by bicycle in the year 2000 and 15% by the year 2005, but this along with Geelong Cycling Strategy 2008-2013 have failed to stop the reduction in ridership in a vehicle dominated era.
Bicycle Users Geelong was formed in 1995 by the Barwon Regional Bicycle Council.
Russell Mockridge and Leigh Howard are some of Geelong's most well known racing cyclists. Tour De France winner Cadel Evans has lived in Barwon Heads, Victoria - a township on the outskirts of the City of Greater Geelong municipality.
Bicycle organisations and groups
- Bicycle Users Geelong
- Bikesafe (Geelong and Surfcoast)
- Cycling Geelong
- Geelong Cycling Club
- Geelong Touring Cyclists
- "GREATER GEELONG CYCLE STRATEGY" (PDF). City of Greater Geelong. City of Greater Geelong. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Barwon River Trail". www.geelongaustralia.com.au. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Plea for calm as cycling accidents skyrocket". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Jacks, Timna (11 May 2015). "Deadly hit and run driver in Geelong 'harassed other cyclists'". The Age. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Dad may never walk again after hit-run". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Ebenezer's mum gets crash compo".
- Cannon, Anthea (10 July 2015). "TAC pays compensation to Geelong schoolboy's mother after finding bus driver negligent in fatal crash". Geelong Advertiser.
- "57 accidents involving cyclists in past 12 months". Geelong Advertiser. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Widow's gift to help prevent tragedy". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "ParlInfo - ADJOURNMENT : Corio Electorate: Bike Safe". parlinfo.aph.gov.au. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Bike rider injured in hit run on Princess St, in Drysdale". Geelong Advertiser. 27 October 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Cyclist dies after colliding with truck on Ryrie Street, Geelong". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 16 November 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016 – via www.abc.net.au.
- http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/city-hall/city-hall-reveals-green-spine-plan-for-geelongs-innercity-forest/news-story/5328cd16e1138d84fb8e70861be129bb City Hall reveals `Green Spine’ plan for Geelong's inner-city forest
- https://cyclinggeelong.com.au/2016/05/06/green-spine-to-deliver-safe-transit-through-geelong-cbd-have-your-say/ Green Spine to deliver safe transit through Geelong CBD – have your say
- https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/policy-and-campaigns/4181/ Geelong reveals its Green Spine - Malop Street
- http://www.bicycleusersgeelong.org.au/bike-lane-for-malop-street/ Separated bike lane for Malop Street
- http://geelongcycling.com/about/ About Geelong Cycling Club
- "Geelong Cycling Club (formerly the Geelong West Cycling Club)". www.bicyclenetwork.com.au. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- http://www.geelongtouringcyclists.com/History.htm History of the Geelong Touring Cyclists
- "I ♥ Sydney Bike Lanes & Cycle Ways - Timeline | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Bonham, Jennifer; Johnson, Marilyn (4 December 2015). Cycling Futures. University of Adelaide Press. ISBN 9781925261172.
- "Report on bicycles" (PDF). Victorian Transport study.
- "Bike ahead - Bicycle Strategy for the 21st Century" (PDF). Department of transport - The Government of Western Australia.
- http://www.geelongtouringcyclists.com/ History of the Geelong Touring Cyclists
- http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8605219?selectedversion=NBD13985595 Barwon region strategic bicycle plan 1996
- "Greater Geelong Cycle Strategy" (PDF). City of Greater Geelong. 1 March 2008.
- http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/parks/plans/article/item/8cfbd3898d2e581.aspx Greater Geelong Cycle Strategy 2008
- http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/geelong/the-number-of-people-riding-bikes-to-work-is-lowest-in-30-years/news-story/50bc52e8e2ced4bded8a695324cb489f The number of people riding bikes to work is lowest in 30 years (Geelong)
- "Social atlas | City of Greater Geelong | atlas.id". atlas.id.com.au. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- http://www.bicycleusersgeelong.org.au/history/ History of Bicycle Users Geelong
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/criticalmassgeelong/ Critical Mass Geelong public facebook group