D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship
The D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship (CCS) is a Washington, DC-based discipleship and evangelism outreach to train and equip members of Congress, staffers and interns to be "Christian statesmen." Founded by author, pastor and television evangelist D. James Kennedy in 1995, the Center offers Bible studies, luncheons, lecture series, as well as evangelism and leadership training on Capitol Hill.
The Center gives its "Distinguished Christian Statesman Award" annually to high-profile Christian political leaders. Past honorees include Mike Pence, Tom DeLay, Sam Brownback, John Ashcroft, and Mike Huckabee.
D. James Kennedy (1930-2007) founded CCS in 1995 as an outreach of his television and radio outreach, Coral Ridge Ministries—now D. James Kennedy Ministries (DJKM). For Kennedy, the new Washington, DC-based branch of his media ministry was a strategic foray into a key mission field. "Never before have we had the opportunity to be right in the midst of our nation's capital, to be a voice for Christ where it is needed so very much," Kennedy told viewers in 1995. "We are in the midst of a war, a war of values, a war against God and his truth. And it's why we're now in Washington, DC, striving to spread the gospel and minister to those Christians who are trying to make a difference."
By 1999, then-CCS director Frank Wright claimed 50 members of Congress were participating in a weekly Bible study.
Initially housed in offices in the Heritage Foundation building on Capitol Hill, CCS moved into its own facility, a three-story row house two blocks from the U.S. Capitol, in 2013.
In 2018, DJKM launched the D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Leadership, as an initiative of its Center for Christian Statesmanship in Washington, D.C. The Center for Christian Leadership provides comprehensive leadership training to those preparing to seek elected office and to those seeking other areas of service in the public policy arena.
- Lee., Williams, Herbert (1999). D. James Kennedy : the man and his ministry. Nashville: T. Nelson Publishers (Coral Ridge Ministries edition). pp. 346–47. ISBN 0840774753. OCLC 21301841.
- Evangelism Explosion (2016-02-22), Speaking Truth to Power: The D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship, retrieved 2018-04-04
- Lessner, Lori (November 8, 1999). "A PASSIONATE POLITICAL EMBRACE OF FAITH". Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "Center for Christian Statesmanship reopens on Capitol Hill (OneNewsNow.com)". 2007-06-25. Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship Acquires New Building Two Blocks from U.S. Capitol Building - Christian Newswire". www.christiannewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-04-04.
- "A New Approach to Leadership Training". Retrieved April 4, 2018.