DAMA (the Data Management Association) is a not-for-profit, vendor-independent, international association of technical and business professionals dedicated to advancing the concepts and practices of information resource management (IRM) and data resource management (DRM).
DAMA's primary purpose is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing information and data as a key enterprise asset. The group is organized as a set of more than 40 chapters and members-at-large around the world, with an International Conference held every year.
Chapters, Chapter Structure, and Central Membership
DAMA International is organised through a Chapter structure, with each Chapter being a separate legal entity that formally affiliates with DAMA International. There are over 40 chapters established in over 16 countries around the world. The United States is disproportionately represented in the number of Chapters due to the number of city-based chapters as opposed to country-level in other jurisdictions.
In 2015 DAMA introduced a "Central" membership to help support and develop member services in a more consistent manner internationally and to provide a clear rallying point for members world wide who may lack a local chapter structure.
A full listing of Chapters can be found on the DAMA International website. This list does not include "chapters in formation" which have yet to meet the criteria for recognition as Chapters and formal affiliation with DAMA-I.
The Data Management Body of Knowledge (DMBOK)
The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge" (DAMA-DMBOK Guide) was first published in April 5th, 2009.
It defines nine knowledge domains which are at the core of Information and Data Management.
- Data Governance (the central knowledge domain that connects all the others)
- Data Architecture Management
- Data Development
- Data Operations Management
- Data Security Management
- Reference and Master Data Management
- Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence
- Document and Content Management
- Metadata Management
- Data Quality Management
The DMBOK is copyright DAMA International.
DAMA International is the owner of the Certified Data Management Professional certification. This Certification is based on a range of learning objectives derived from the DMBOK.
In October 2015, DAMA International terminated its relationship with ICCP who had provided administrative services for the delivery of the CDMP certification.
From its inception in 1989 through to 2002, The DAMA Individual Achievement Awards have recognized a data professional who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the information resource management industry consistent with DAMA International's vision. From 2003 to 2015, DAMA created additional categories to recognize more people who have made special contributions to the world of data management. The awards categories are:
- Academic Achievement Award: To a member from academia for outstanding research or theoretical contributions in the area of IRM/DRM
- DAMA Community Award : To a member of the DAMA community who has gone beyond the call of volunteer service to enhance the efforts of providing exceptional benefits to the DAMA Membership.
- Government Achievement Award : To a member of the leadership populace for instituting the inclusion and adherence to DRM/IRM principles.
- Professional Achievement Award : To a member from the ‘industry’ (business, discipline, specialist) who has made significant, demonstrable contributions to the IRM/DRM.
- Lifetime Achievement and Contribution Award : This special award has been presented to John Zachman in 2002, Michael Brackett in 2006 and Catherine Nolan in 2015.
Starting in 2016, DAMA International created the DAMA International Award for Data Management Excellence. This award will be presented to organizations or individuals who have made contributions to data management principles. The first awards under this new structure will be given in April, 2016.
List of Award Winners
A list of award winners can be found on the DAMA website.
DAMA International provides a speakers bureau service to connect conference and event organisers with internationally regarded expert speakers.
A full listing of speakers can be found here.
|This article about a professional association is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|