Dad bod is a slang term in popular culture referring to a body shape particular to middle-aged men. The phrase has been adopted in U.S. culture as a celebration of this particular type of physique, with references generally skewing toward a positive and light-hearted tone. This masculine body type is a unique cross between muscular and overweight physiques.
Mackenzie Pearson, a student at Clemson University, claims to have invented the term.[when?] Pearson routinely posted essays on her Odyssey account and soon started making them humorous. In a Twitter interview she was asked for the reason she had uploaded the essay. "I wrote it with as a humor piece originally. My roommate and another one of my friends were in a group called ourselves the 'dad bod squad' and I thought it would be funny to elaborate on what a dad bod was. A lot of guys at my school looked like it so I just built it based off my guy friends and what they did. Originally it was a joke for my circle of friends".[This quote needs a citation]
- "Mackenzie Pearson". Theodysseyonline.com. 2014-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Why Girls Love The Dad Bod". Theodysseyonline.com. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- 8/05/2015 (2015-05-08). "Beer bellies are in, biceps are out: introducing the 'Dad Bod'". Msn.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Engel, Meredith (2015-05-07). "Why women are lusting after dudes with 'dad bod'". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Holley, Peter (2015-05-11). "I have a dad bod. Here's why women love it". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Hess, Amanda (2015-04-30). "What is the Dad Bod? America's leading expert explains". Slate.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.