Dad bod is a slang term in popular culture referring to a body shape particular to middle-aged men. The phrase has been adopted in U.S. culture as a celebration of this particular type of physique, with references generally skewing toward a positive and light-hearted tone. This masculine body type is a cross between somewhat muscular and overweight physiques.
Mackenzie Pearson, a student at Clemson University, was the first to publish the term, but does not claim to have invented it, having heard it in many different social circles. Pearson routinely posted essays on her Odyssey account and soon started making them humorous. In a Twitter interview she was asked for the reason she had uploaded the essay. "I wrote it with as a humor piece originally. My roommate and another one of my friends were in a group called ourselves the 'dad bod squad' and I thought it would be funny to elaborate on what a dad bod was. A lot of guys at my school looked like it so I just built it based off my guy friends and what they did. Originally it was a joke for my circle of friends".[This quote needs a citation]
- "Meet The 19-Year-Old College Student Who Told The World About The "Dadbod"". BuzzFeedNews. 2015-05-03. Retrieved 2019-06-26.
- "Mackenzie Pearson". Theodysseyonline.com. 2014-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Why Girls Love The Dad Bod". Theodysseyonline.com. 2015-03-30. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- 8/05/2015 (2015-05-08). "Beer bellies are in, biceps are out: introducing the 'Dad Bod'". Msn.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Engel, Meredith (2015-05-07). "Why women are lusting after dudes with 'dad bod'". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Holley, Peter (2015-05-11). "I have a dad bod. Here's why women love it". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Hess, Amanda (2015-04-30). "What is the Dad Bod? America's leading expert explains". Slate.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.