Dale Church (Luster)
View of the church
Sogn og Fjordane
|Denomination||Church of Norway|
|Deanery||Indre Sogn prosti|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bjørgvin|
Dale Church (Norwegian: Dale kyrkje) is a parish church in the municipality of Luster in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. It is located in the village of Luster on the western shore of the Lustrafjorden. The church is part of the Dale parish in the Indre Sogn deanery in the Diocese of Bjørgvin.
Dale Church in Luster reflects both Romanesque and Gothic style. The medieval era church was built around the year 1240 and it was dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The church seats about 200 people. The church is endowed with sculpture in Vestportalen soapstone and preserved interiors from the Middle Ages. Construction includes granite in cavity walls with soapstone corners and frames. The nave and choir are rectangular. The porch and the ridge turret above the entrance in the west were built in the 1600s. The Gothic west portal dates to c. 1250. Werner Olsen added a tower in 1635; that tower has not been preserved, and the current tower was added later. The church was restored in 1903 under the direction of architect Jens Zetlitz Monrad Kielland.
Furnishings for Dale Church are from various eras. The baptismal font from the 1200s is of soapstone and is shaped as a four-leaf clover. The pulpit is in Renaissance style from the 1600s, while the baroque altarpiece and memory boards are from around 1700. The pulpit has pictures of evangelists in the side panels together with depictions of the Crucifixion with Mary and John the Evangelist at foot of the cross, flanked by Moses and John the Baptist. The choir wall is decorated with frescoes from the late 1500s. The bride bench dates from the 1100s and the crucifix from the 1200s. 
- "Dale kyrkje". Kirkesøk: Kirkebyggdatabasen. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Dale kyrkjestad". Riksantikvaren. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Åse Moe Torvanger. "Jens Kielland, Arkitekt". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Anne Marta Hoff. "Dale kyrkje, Luster". Norges Kirker. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- "Oversikt over Nåværende Kirker" (in Norwegian). KirkeKonsulenten.no. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Dale kyrkje" (in Norwegian). Sogn og Fjordane Fylkesarkiv. Archived from the original on 2015-04-14. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
|This article about a church or other Christian place of worship in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|