Damsel (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||The Octopus Project|
|Edited by||Melba Robichaux|
Great Point Media
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Damsel is a 2018 American western comedy written and directed by David Zellner and Nathan Zellner. It stars Robert Pattinson and Mia Wasikowska in lead roles. The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2018 and was released on June 22, 2018, by Magnolia Pictures and Great Point Media.
Samuel Alabaster, an affluent pioneer, ventures across the American frontier to marry the love of his life, Penelope. He traverses the Wild West with a drunkard and a miniature horse named Butterscotch; however, their once-simple journey grows treacherous, and soon the lines between heroes, damsels and villains are blurred.
- Robert Pattinson as Samuel Alabaster
- Mia Wasikowska as Penelope
- Robert Forster as Old Preacher
- David Zellner as Parson Henry
- Nathan Zellner as Rufus Cornell
- Joseph Billingiere as Zacharia
David and Nathan Zellner assembled the three principal cast members along with 27 crewmembers and 70 extras. Filming was set to last 32 days. Most of the film was shot in Utah, which provided tax incentives for the production. In an interview, Pattinson described the film as, "a kind of slapstick comedy."
Principal photography began on July 11, 2016 at Wasatch Range in Summit County, Utah. Filming moved to Oregon in late August 2016. Scenes were filmed with Pattinson and Wasikowska on the Oregon Coast on August 25, 2016, after which filming was wrapped.
In February 2017, David Zellner confirmed via an Instagram post that The Octopus Project would compose the score for the film. In March 2017, Pattinson himself confirmed that he is also contributing to the music of the film.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 71%, based on 100 reviews, and an average rating of 6.6/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "The beautifully filmed Damsel injects the western genre with a welcome dose of humor and some unexpected twists, although its stately pace may frustrate impatient viewers." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 63 out of 100, based on 33 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Damsel". Sundance Film Festival. The Sundance Institute. Archived from the original on 19 January 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Damsel (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- Nordine, Michael (July 13, 2016). "Robert Pattinson to Headline the Zellner Brothers' Western 'Damsel,' Their Followup to 'Kumiko'". IndieWire. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Newman, Nick (July 13, 2016). "Robert Pattinson Leading Zellner Brothers' Western 'Damsel'; Mia Wasikowska in Talks to Join". The Film Stage. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Debruge, Peter (November 29, 2017). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils Full 2018 Features Lineup". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Gorrell, Mike (June 16, 2016). "Six films offered state incentives of $2.6M". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Perez, Rodrigo (March 21, 2017). "Robert Pattinson Says He's Making A "100% Improvised Movie" & Creating Music For A Slapstick Comedy". The Playlist. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Jackson, Melissa (June 9, 2016). "Utah Film Commission Selects Six New Projects for Incentives". Utah Film Commission. Archived from the original on 13 June 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Chavez, Paul (August 26, 2016). "PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Robert Pattinson wields guns and a guitar as he kicks off filming for Western drama Damsel with Mia Wasikowska". The Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Zellner, David (August 26, 2016). "I've been off the grid this summer shooting our next feature out in the wilderness and we've just wrapped. A western called "DAMSEL". So much gratitude for the kind, talented and wonderful people who joined us on this crazy fun adventure. Can't wait to share it when it's done". Instagram. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- Zellner, David (February 19, 2017). "The Octopus Project did the amazing soundtrack for Kumiko and are currently working with us on the soundtrack for our next feature, "Damsel". They have an upcoming tour and album called Memory Mirror(in snazzy colored vinyl), check it out! #theoctopusproject #kumikothetreasurehunter #damsel #zellnerbros". Instagram. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Ivan-Zadeh, Larushka (March 15, 2017). "Rob's weird world". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- SPARKS [@sparksofficial] (February 2, 2018). "Russell has a cameo role as the "Prairie Crooner" in the new offbeat Western film 'Damsel' directed by the great @zellnerbros ✨ The rumor has it that Russell's part includes... wait for it... some yodeling! www.imdb.com/title/tt5881528/ …" (Tweet). Retrieved February 2, 2018 – via Twitter.
- "Damsel (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- "Damsel Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 1, 2018.