|Born||21 June 1976|
|Genres||Heavy metal Hard rock Punk rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, actor|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass guitar, drums|
|Associated acts||Anthrax, Wolfpack Black, Mad Tandem, TRED, BlackGates, Hawks of Metropolis, Inside Hollow, Megadeth|
Hailing from New York, Nelson is currently the guitarist and lead vocalist of the band Wolfpack Black.
In the past, he has worked with the Long Island bands Inside Hollow, Discipline and Devilsize. From 2007 to 2009, he was the lead vocalist of American thrash metal band Anthrax, replacing original frontman Joey Belladonna following his second departure from the band on January 24, 2007. He was the first Anthrax vocalist to perform with the band in Korea, Colombia, and Estonia. Nelson was co-writer of eight songs from the 2011 Anthrax album, Worship Music. He was also the lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist for the band BlackGates, which also featured current Slayer drummer Paul Bostaph.
In addition, he also provided the lead vocals and co-wrote songs for the band TRED, and their yet to be released debut album. The band also features guitarist Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob) and the late AJ Pero (Twisted Sister) on drums.
He made a guest vocal appearance on the track "Black" for the German band President Evil, on their album, Back From Hell's Holiday. As well as guest vocals on "Six of Cups" (2010) by Bay Area metal thrashers The Venting Machine, "Hand that Feeds" (2010) by New York-based rock band Dormitory Effect and "Solid 15" (2009) by Hollywood rockers My Evolution.
Nelson also provided all guitar, vocal and keyboard tracks for the alternative rock band Hawks of Metropolis. He is featured on both the 2013 EP releases "Hawks" and "Non Terminus Tandem".
His 2-piece band with drummer Phil Deluxe, Mad Tandem, released their debut demo EP "The September Demos" on November 1, 2016. The music was recorded live, raw and during the actual writing sessions for those songs. Vocals and backing vocals, as well as a few guitar over dubs were added the following day. The whole EP took the duo about a week to finish. The duo wanted to create a "throwback" type of recording....an homage to bands such as The Stooges, The Doors and Cream. When bands let the songs do the talking.
Other career ventures
Dan Nelson has also composed and contributed to several movie soundtracks including "House Call" (2011), "Once Upon a time in Brooklyn" (2013) and the upcoming 2017 films/shorts "Mr. Wonderful", "The Regret Cycle" and "KRAMPUSNACHT".
Nelson is also a producer, most recently recording, mixing and producing the EP "Self Destruct" (2016) by the band Fatal Rhythm, and the album "Skeleton of Life" (2016) by Erin McAndrew.
Outside his music career, Nelson has dabbled in acting as well, appearing alongside David Naughton and Brian O'Halloran in "Brutal Massacre: A Comedy" (2006), as well as "The Regret Cycle" and "KRAMPUSNACHT" (2017).
- "Dan Nelson's Official Facebook profile". facebook.com. July 22, 2009. Retrieved July 22, 2009.
- "It's Official: Anthrax Taps Former Devilsize Singer". Blabbermouth.net. December 10, 2007. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- "Anthrax Guitarist Scott Ian: 'The Reunion Is Over'". Blabbermouth.net. January 24, 2007. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- "WebVoyage Record View 1". Cocatalog.loc.gov. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Ex-Anthrax Dan Slams New Version Of 'Fight 'Em Till You Can't' | Music News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Anthrax Settles Lawsuit With Former Singer Dan Nelson". Blabbermouth.net. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "BLACKGATESofficial". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Dan Nelson on IMDb
- Interview with Dan Nelson and Joey Z
- Holiday Wishes from Dan Nelson Of Anthrax And Joey Z Of Life Of Agony
BlackGates on iTunes
Mad Tandem on iTunes