Dance Me to the End of Love
|"Dance Me to the End of Love"|
|Song by Leonard Cohen|
|from the album Various Positions|
|Songwriter(s)||Leonard Cohen, David Campbell|
|Various Positions track listing|
"Dance Me to the End of Love" is a 1984 song by Leonard Cohen. It was first performed by Cohen on his 1984 album Various Positions. It has been recorded by various artists and in 2009 was described as "trembling on the brink of becoming a standard."
Leonard Cohen original version
"Dance Me to the End of Love" is a 1984 song by Leonard Cohen and first recorded by him for his 1984 album Various Positions. The song follows a typical Greek "Hasapiko" dance path, most probably inspired by Cohen's long lasting affiliation to the Greek island of Hydra. It has since been recorded by various artists, and has been described as "trembling on the brink of becoming a standard".
|“||'it's curious how songs begin because the origin of the song, every song, has a kind of grain or seed that somebody hands you or the world hands you and that's why the process is so mysterious about writing a song. But that came from just hearing or reading or knowing that in the death camps, beside the crematoria, in certain of the death camps, a string quartet was pressed into performance while this horror was going on, those were the people whose fate was this horror also. And they would be playing classical music while their fellow prisoners were being killed and burnt. So, that music, "Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin," meaning the beauty there of being the consummation of life, the end of this existence and of the passionate element in that consummation. But, it is the same language that we use for surrender to the beloved, so that the song — it’s not important that anybody knows the genesis of it, because if the language comes from that passionate resource, it will be able to embrace all passionate activity.||”|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||68|
Madeleine Peyroux version
|"Dance Me to the End of Love"|
|Single by Madeleine Peyroux|
|from the album Careless Love|
|Madeleine Peyroux singles chronology|
Jazz singer Madeleine Peyroux included a cover of "Dance Me to the End of Love" on her second solo album, Careless Love (2004). It was released as the second single for the album and has been a part of her concert set-list since then.
Interviewing Peyroux in 2012, The Huffington Post described the song as a "haunting 2004 rendition ... undoubtedly one of modern music's brightest highlights. An inspired, exquisite cover that besides drawing countless comparison's to Billie Holiday's singing, brought the free spirited musician to just artistic prominence."
- Kate Gibson – mostly in English but partly in French (on the soundtrack to the 1995 movie Strange Days)
- Thalia Zedek – on her 2001 album Been Here and Gone
- Elske de Wall – solo with her own guitar, in the West Frisian language: "Dunsje my de leafde ut", and as a duet with Jan Dulles
- Yiannis Parios – in Greek, under the name Mono Agapi (Only love)
- Jorge Drexler – on his 2008 album Cara B
- Misstress Barbara – on her 2009 album I'm No Human
- Mark Seymour – in the 2003 Australian television drama CrashBurn
- The Civil Wars – on their albums Live at Eddie's Attic (2009) and Barton Hollow (2011)
- Patricia O'Callaghan – on her 2012 album Matador: The Songs of Leonard Cohen
- Klezmer Conservatory Band – on their 2000 album Dance Me to the End of Love.
- Zorita – on their 2012 album "Amor Y Muerte"
- Dustin Kensrue (of Thrice) – on his 2016 live covers album Thoughts That Float on a Different Blood
The Scottish painter Jack Vettriano created a painting with the same title. He has also made two other paintings named after and inspired by Leonard Cohen works: one based on Cohen's novel Beautiful Losers and the other inspired by his song "Bird on the Wire". When asked on Desert Island Discs, Vettriano mentioned Leonard Cohen's album I'm Your Man as one of his must-have records.
- Dance Me To The End Of Love Archived 2014-02-20 at Archive.is, Mark Steyn, 2009
-  Music of the Ghettos and Camps, A Teacher's Guide to the Holocaust, USF.edu
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 46, 2016)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Portuguesecharts.com – Leonard Cohen – Dance Me to the End of Love". AFP Top 100 Singles. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Leonard Cohen – Dance Me to the End of Love" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – Leonard Cohen – Dance Me to the End of Love". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Dance Me to the End of Love – Q& With Jazz Singer Madeleine Peyroux". The Huffington Post UK. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Dunsje my de leafde ut – Elske de Wall". YouTube. 22 January 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Elske deWall en Jan Dulles- Dunsje mei de leafde ut". YouTube. 29 June 2012. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- AllMusic Review by Matt Fink (18 July 2000). "Dance Me to the End of Love – Klezmer Conservatory Band | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
-  Desert Island Discs